Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Dunric
on 2001-10-08
 Update to the Translation Project :)

Hello,

For those interested, I have been working feverishly to produce a version of Westfront PC: The Trials of Guilder for the following platforms:

Apple II/IIe
Commodore 64/128 (can be easily adapted to the Plus/4)
Atari 400/800
Sinclair
MSX
CP/M 2.2 and above
Commodore Amiga
DEC Rainbow
Acorn
Palm IIIc
Amstrad
Atari ST
Apple Macintosh
TI 99/4A

Since the game itself is already ported to MS-DOS and Windows-compatible computers, playing it shouldn't be all that difficult:

http://www.geocities.com/dunric/westfront.html
(or an alternative link to)
http://members.tripod.com/~panks/westfront.html

I believe this game is possible to port to any of the platforms listed above, although each version would have to be suited to the individual system's capabilities. Since the game was coded in a flavor of BASIC, it shouldn't be too difficult to port to those systems:

http://www.geocities.com/dunric/wftrans.html

I have tried using UBASIC, PowerBASIC, ByWater BASIC, Chip Munk BASIC, GFA BASIC, and a host of other interpreters/compilers but few seem to handle the game in even the MS-DOS size.

Therefore, I am calling upon all programmers proficient enough in the BASIC or C language that are willing to port a version of the Trials of Guilder for their specific systems to write me at: dunric@yahoo.com

The reward is nothing more or less than a playable version of the game on whatever system it is attempted to be ported to. The best method I can think of is to write the data files for the game to disk and to keep variables and arrays to a bare minimum. Verbs can be cut down to a minimum of 14-18, depending on the system. Nouns in the game...well...use your imagination. If there are fifteen different swords and shield and helmets, that's probably too much.

So to aid in the translation efforts, I have compiled a "bare bones" list of the items and monsters available in a "minimal" version of Westfront PC: The Trials of Guilder.

Here's the list:

VERBS
-----
GO,GET,WIELD,UNWIELD,WEAR,REMOVE,DROP,KILL (or ATTACK),BUY,SELL,PUT,READ,EXAMINE
LIGHT,USE,EAT,DRINK,INVENTORY,LOOK,CLIMB,SCORE,SAVE,QUIT

(23 or so verbs)

ITEMS
-----
BAG
LANTERN
FUEL
ROPE
GRAPPLER (a grappling hook)
NOVEL
SCROLL
KEY
IRONKEY
HELMET
BOOTS
FORCEBOOTS
SHIELD
ARMOR
CLOAK
ROBE
RING
CHAINMAIL
SHROUD OF SAINT NEPHAN
DISC OF ATHENS
GLISTENING ANKLET
ORB OF TRUTH
SPELLBOOK
KNIFE
DAGGER
SWORD
LONGSWORD
BROADSWORD
SLAYER
HOLY MACE
GLOWBALL
SCEPTER
TORCH
SHOVEL
MATCHES

(35 or so items)

MONSTERS
--------
SKELETON
CLERK
DRUNK
VILLAGER
VETERAN
BARTENDER
FALDOR
WOLF
WARRIOR
MONK
ZOMBIE
GOBLIN
TROLL
PALADIN
WRAITH
BEAR
DRAGON
BARBARIAN
THIEF
INSPECTOR FUNKYDOG
JESTER
SORCERER
SPIDER
ELF
HOBBIT
WIZARD
GUARD1
GUARD2
GUARD3
GUARD4
NINJA
SENTRY1
SENTRY2
SENTRY3
SENTRY4
CENTURION
ADVENTURER
SENATOR
BISHOP ROLAND
SOLDIER

(40 or so monsters)

Now for the room total. I've thought a great deal about this and I realize that the original room total of 1,728 (across 4 continents) is just way too much for most systems to handle. So I've decided a good number to try for would be between 200-300 rooms. A lot can be packed into each room, including multiple descriptors and other events.

Quests: Quests are entirely optional and may be included at the whim of the programmer. It may be as simple as "Rescue the princess from the dragon" or as complex as "Destroy the evil army, save the city, and return the enchanted goblet to the city of ankahan."

Let me know if this sounds like a good idea. I feel this game could be a fun experience for all involved.

Regards,

Paul Panks
dunric@yahoo.com

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024