Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Rachy
on 2006-12-27
04:16:55
 AmigaOS4.0 released

I know this is offtopic here, I am just as happy as I haven't been for a very long time:

the final version from the new AmigaOS has been released to the public:

http://amigans.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=46

(As you probably know I am somewhat involved in the development of the new AmigaOS, so, please don't be suprised I do my dance around here... wink)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-12-27
09:03:19
 Re: AmigaOS4.0 released

Good job with that (I guess, I have to admit I know nothing about the Amiga). I read this news yesterday on Slashdot, along with all the comments, some of which have been pretty negative. One comment said that it was dead (not dying, dead). That's definitely up for debate, but it made me think about our platform. We have less of everything than the Amiga (hardware specs, software base, community size, interest, etc). That's why I started the "wishes for 2007" thread, to see what the rest of you think about the future of the Plus/4.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2006-12-27
13:10:59

I think the 'not dying, dead' comments are in a commercial usage context, and to be honest, the commercial side of all the old computers is pretty much dead.

But that's not the reason why the majority of the retro scene exists today. It's not about hardware specs or software bases, or we'd all be Wintel zombies happy Take the Spectrum for example, not the most advanced computer ever, but because it was competitively priced, it was the most popular computer in the UK, and has an appropriately large retro scene. (The Plus/4 was supposed to be priced in the same bracket, but that's another story.)

IMO, the main reason the retro scene exists is nostalgia. And fond nostalgia at that. A break from the bloatware machines of today to the simplicity of older times. happy And although I don't like to speak for others, I don't see that kind of scene dying anytime soon happy

Posted By

Rachy
on 2006-12-28
03:53:31

@Ulysses777

I think the 'not dying, dead' comments are in a commercial usage context, and to be honest, the commercial side of all the old computers is pretty much dead.

AOS4 is not for old computers, there are new Amigas (out of stock, ATM) to run the new OS. Yet, AOS has its target platform on the embedded multimedia market, where the hardware resources are highly limited.

Slashdot... Nahh... Bunch of linux freaks, they don't think anything is useful besides their favourite distro. (Yes, they will kill eachother even if different distros were coming up.) I wouldn't give a cent for their opinion.

Anyway, if you have the opportunity have a peek on the new AmigaOS. You will be suprised, I guarantee... happy

Posted By

Degauss
on 2007-01-01
16:20:09

Congrats, Rachy!

I understand you're quite happy. To be honest, i never thought AmigaOS 4.0 would be finished at all. This is certainly something to give back a little trust and hope, which was spoiled in the last years.

What was your involvement in 4.0 ? Is it your 68k-JIT-Engine? Whats your opinion about the MorphOS/Pegasos-Branch of the Amiga-Family?

------------------------------

@Ulysses: ACK! For example, I'm TOTALLY HAPPY that +4 is commercially dead so i feel undisturbed to feed my nostalgia-addiction with it. I got in touch with the 264's so late that it has always been quite dead for me (in a commercial sense). It has always been and always will be a Demo-Machine for me - and i think this is really a great thing to say wink (Nah, ok: I also used ScriptPlus heavily back then wink )

Amiga is a different and sad story but the community is great. I love to see new Amiga-Demos (Ephidrena! *yum yum*) and i especially love to see something like an OCS-Scene evolving. (If there will be a living OCS-Scene, it might be quite like our little family wink )

Posted By

Rachy
on 2007-01-02
04:15:52

@Degauss:
Thanks!

To be honest, i never thought AmigaOS 4.0 would be finished at all.
Well, you are not the only one. The world was quite suprised about this release. Yet, there is no hardware available for this release, so there are no newcomers yet.

Is it your 68k-JIT-Engine?
Yes, among many small things, this was my main contribution.

Whats your opinion about the MorphOS/Pegasos-Branch of the Amiga-Family?
I have my opinion, but I'd rather keep it to myself. There were enough bashing between these two strictly separate group.
In case you don't know much about the details: MOS and AOS4 is not compatible, goes totally different route on development. The only compatibility level is AOS3.1 and Motorola 680x0 processor emulated, which means developers could not use any new features if they want to run the same software on both platforms, and even more: the application will run slower because of the emulated processor.

Too bad that the remaining Amiga fans are fragmented into at least five different platforms (classic Amiga, AOS4, MOS, emulator freaks, AROS). I believe there is only one way ahead, but ask any Amiga fellow and he/she will declare the same, just will name a different way... wink

Posted By

RobertB
on 2007-01-23
22:31:09

Rachy wrote:

> Too bad that the remaining Amiga fans are fragmented into at least five different
> platforms (classic Amiga, AOS4...

Well, I guess I'm fragmented into classic Amiga and OS4. wink

Split personality,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024