Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

indi
on 2006-10-02
14:37:22
 Re: XeO3 Teaser.....

That's fine if you want colour over "proper" sprites. The problem with Finders Keepers is that every sprite has a big black box around it. That's okay if you have virtually no collisions and hardly ever see this effect. But when you have baddies flying over the background it looks truly horrible.

Now, if you accept that you need proper sprites and have to mix them together, then you are now faced with what spectrum users affectionately call Colour Clash. 2 colours can occupy the same space, so a sprite then partially changes colour as it moves around which doesn't look good either. This is also why games like Uridium on the Spectrum only use one colour - same reason as us.

Now, we did try both these methods (I'm sure there are a few piccys of them around some where)m and while the colour looked nice when nothing was colliding, it looked horrible when it did. And the same goes for the black boxes... in fact, if I did this method, I would have gotten a lot more sprites on screen!

But we decided we wanted what +4 owners hardly ever get - proper sprites, and to do that, you have to drop colour and the black boxes. This was a conscious decision, so it's not one we're likely to go back on - thanks anyway.

If you want nicer looking....wait until I try a C64 version... that'll probably look better happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024