Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

jaicen
on 2006-08-04
20:38:52
 Replacing 3 + 1?? & Software question

Hey guys, great site!
I just got a Plus/4 and I find I love it a lot.
I was wondering if anyone had ever thought about replacing the internal 3+1 software with something more useful (like Fire Ant or G-man wink ).
I know of a guy that has done some work using Eproms to replace PLA's and things in the VIC and C64, would it be a similar situation?
I've seen some hungarian plus/4's that have the Basic Kernal replaced to allow use on a network, and whilst this isn't exactly the same, it's along the lines of what I was thinking. It'd be great to be able to load straight into some useful software rather than the abomination that's in there already!
By the way, I can only seem to get into the word processor, and can't do anything but type. Is there a manual online?

Thanks guys!

*jaicen

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-08-04
21:14:57
 Re: Replacing 3 + 1?? & Software question

There's other software that can be put in place of Three-Plus-One. Any of the Commodore Plus/4/C16 cartridge software can be put in those slots (but games, like the Scott Adams adventures, will make the machine dedicated to that game, just as if you had inserted the cartridge in the rear port).

You can also put your own software in EPROM. Just be sure to include the proper startup code at the beginning of the EPROM so that the system detects it, and knows what to do with it. I can expand on this if you're interested.

To get to other things in Three-Plus-One, hold down the Commodore key and press C. That puts you in command mode. Now you can type TC to go to the spreadsheet or TF for the database program. If you download the expansion program "Plus/Extra" from www.cbm264.com, the expansion has an on-line help system that you can bring up by pressing Commodore-H.

I don't know of an electronic version of the internal software manual, but I have duplicate copies if you want a printed manual.... I'm sure others of us have spares as well. Let us know where you are (what country), and provide an email address, and one of us close to you will get in touch.

Posted By

jaicen
on 2006-08-05
07:18:12

Thanks for the quick reply!
I am interested in learning more about replacing the 3+1 software, it seems interesting. I'm not sure exactly what I'd want in there yet though, some good music software would be nice. I'll get back to you on sunday hopefully.

Posted By

JamesD
on 2006-08-05
17:41:06

I picked up a Plus/4 for my collection (or as my family calls it, old junk) and started reading about it. I was pretty impressed with it... no sprites or sid but otherwise better than the C64.

After tinkering with it I thought the machine would have been much better off with different built in software as well.

Anyone ever create a programmer's toolkit to replace the standard stuff? A full screen editor for programming and a macro assembler would be nice. Maybe a graphics/sprite editor and sound/music tool?

Posted By

JamesC
on 2006-08-05
18:58:49

The programming part can be done with New-ROM: http://plus4world.com/sd.php?pid=15120 ... but graphics are disabled when this is active.

I don't see a downloadable cartridge/ROM for graphics and music. You might check the demo construction kits that the sceners use to construct their demos.

Somewhere around here (I really need to straighten up my Commodore room) I have a ROM that had added programming functions and I *think* it has some graphic and/or sound stuff too, but I can't put my fingers on it at the moment.

Posted By

Jaicen
on 2006-08-09
10:04:53

Where did my reply disappear to?
I think I found that utility for programming graphics and sprites but it was in Italian so I couldn't get my head around it. Something like that would be really good for me to learn programming on. The plus/4 is small enough to carry around in a laptop bag, add in a PSone LCD and it's all good wink
Do you have any recommendations for a really good demo editor? I'll start there.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2006-08-28
04:13:07

Can anybody plan to scan 3+1 manual and make it available via net? It will be interesting for many +4 fans to read it! I am situated in Russia so I have a lot of doubts that somebody can bring me printed manual. ;-(

Posted By

JamesD
on 2006-08-28
11:16:12

I found a scan of it on the web.

The file is called "3+1_Manual.zip" but I can't find it with a search engine and I don't know what site I found it on.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2006-08-28
12:10:53

The file in question is at ftp://c64.rulez.org/pub/plus4/Docs/3+1_Manual.zip but it's only a few pages.

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2006-10-16
21:07:18

I have finish my first Book-Project !
Now everybody can DOWNLOAD the complete COMMODORE 3+1 Software Manual, Klick on this Page
http://www.c16chris.danbike.de/z%20Komplett/Handbuecher/c16chris%20-%20Handbuecher.htm
on the small Coverscan from it or go on www.c16chris.de and Klick on NEUSTE UPLOADS ( 17.10.2006 ) .
It have 16 MB

Posted By

Litwr
on 2006-10-17
07:43:59

I've just got it! Wow!!!

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2006-10-17
11:32:49

Ive you want an other Book from my Colection, let ne know

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2007-01-29
15:23:33

I have just load up a better scanned version from th 3+1 User Manual (4,58 MB as .TIF) anybody can download on the same Way.

Posted By

SVS
on 2007-01-30
02:36:40
 @Jaicen

>>I think I found that utility for programming graphics and sprites but it was in Italian so I couldn't get my head around it

If you send it to me, I could translate its texts into English. What is program' title?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024