Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

indi
on 2006-02-03
11:46:24
 Re: Xeo3 - Background tiles..... Blog 29/01/2006. (impasse!)

Yeah I know... thats what I ment by "...I'm going to store all of that...." Meaning I'll have to swap them back and forth. Its never in a critical area so thats not an issue... its just the memory I dont like to lose.

Some good news though.... I have managed to speed up the sprite system. This was coded like a demo. 3x3 chars, no loops, load, and or, store etc... This was fast, but it ment that it was tricky to take advantage of other options.

So... Ive reduced it to a single character with a loop of 9. Now this adds around 7 scanlines, but since its now small, I can now add some special cases. Now I can check to see if the sprite is over a BLANK, and if it is... I can Lda/Sta/iny, rather than the horrible masking.

If you think about it, 90% of the time, a sprite is over a blank area, this means I have shaved of LOTS of CPU time for the average case.

There always the chance that everysprite will be over a background character, in which case it is even more expensive... but this is the big difference with games and demos... you have to weigh the costs, and take whats better over all.

So now, its much smaller, and usually much quicker. And it only took 1/2 hour! happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024