Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2005-12-27
18:08:54
 Zagan Warrior/Deathchase & Enduro/Death Race 16

I have been playing a couple of C16 games in my spare time over Xmas. Zagan Warrior confirmed my suspicions aroused by the screenshot on this site. It's a rip-off of 3D Deathchase, the 1983 16K Spectrum masterpiece by Mervyn Estcourt. This is the only Commodore version of it, I think. An it's actually not bad. It has a couple of gameplay changes that I think are an improvement over the original. The riders shoot back which is great - I wish Deathchase had that. The downside is that the graphics carry little atmosphere, and it's easy to avoid crashing because the tree-like objects are too thin. I also think the 3D effect is significantly weaker.

I played Death Race 16 and found that it was a copy of Activision's brilliant Enduro on the Atari VCS. A slightly raised viewpoint, but the same idea. Not as good as the original by a long way, but there are some very nice, colourful locations that the Atari version lacks.

I guess these aren't the only games to be released on the C16/Plus4 that are "inspired" by other computer smashes. I've always found these unofficial versions of classic games to be interesting, comparing them to the original to see which is best. Can anyone tell me of other C16 games which clearly plagiarised a home computer hit on another system?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024