Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-07-23
05:44:24
 YAPE 1.0.3

A whole year passed, and Gaia relaunchs the YAPE, the widest used emulator for 264 series machines, in its V1.0.3 reincarnation.
This version is a sort of global bugfixing one, in order to have a clean start to a further rework of the older parts of his code (the interface first of all), to get a better way in reading which events are performed time by time, to improve the GUI.

But now, this one, showing the following retouches:
- properly implemented printer repeat bit image data (CHR$(26))
- SHA/SHY/SHX improvement on page boundary crossing (unseen in any programs out in the wild so far)
- memory dump into text files
- added 192000 Hz sound frequency
- carriage return in printer bitmap mode fixed
- folder drive setting no longer reset when printer emulation gets enabled
- awkward crash in the monitor fixed
- bug in the debugger when breakpoint got disabled on ignored CPU crash opcodes
- minor memory map issue in true 1541/1581 drive emulation
- memory dump command in external monitor
- video recording glitch

Run to the download page to get now your proper YAPE build (x32/x64).

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-24
05:44:24
 Re: YAPE 1.0.3

Many thanks as always Gaia! happy

Maybe I should of said but was hoping. As awesome as the sound is now it's about 100th - 200th of a second delayed. What you see is not in sync 100% to what you hear. As you would expect your notice this more when playing games and because I play on both the real machines and Yape I guess I notice it even more.

I can't fault anything else, just I feel the sound needs pulling in tighter? I mean if you play one of your favourite games on a real machine for a bit your notice it more. Nothing wrong with the timing of how everything else works, even from using a retro joystick to what you see is fine... just a slight delay in the sound department I think.

Maybe something for another time. No rush. It's great as it is and most people would not even notice I'm sure else there would of people talking about it already haha! Yeah I'm the fussy one, not lol. It's not broken any way.

Cheers once again and many thanks!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-07-24
07:38:16

Gaia is da man happy

Some of the list items are a bit ambiguous (and therefore funny!). "Blah blah added, something mode fixed, blah crash fixed, video recording glitch?! Wow, so many fixes and additions and even a video recording glitch happy I've been waiting for that one for ages!"

Posted By

SVS
on 2012-07-24
08:59:06

Many thanx Gaia

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-24
09:09:29

Good stuff happy

Posted By

Csio
on 2012-07-24
14:39:49

Many many thx GAIA!!!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-07-24
15:59:56

Thanks for the thanks, guys! happy

@Csabo: yeah, in the changes.txt there are actually categories whether something is new or a fix happy Apparently this has been copied over to the news page without the accompanying explanation. Man, I was glad I could squeeze this release out in one sitting! Believe it or not I have found traces of a previous 1.0.3 release in my site's folder... made in January! grin

@MIK: man, you're spot on with this. Actually, this is called latency, and is something we have to live with in the age of multitasking OS'es (see: http://www.portaudio.com/docs/latency.html). There are (were?) external programming libraries that aim to reduce it as best as possible (eg: http://www.asio4all.com/). If memory serves YAPE has about 30-70 millisec of latency - theoretically -, which is not much happy I recall VICE having had a 300 msec latency by default (but of course that should work for most people). First, we generate the sound samples - roughly - after each vide frame is done and then make sure we always write to the sound buffers at least 20-40 msec ahead of the Directsound player... and there you have the latency... And this is only the part that we can control - more or less! The risk is that if you have too little latency, you can not really keep up the pace and the result is garbled sound or jittering video. One remedy is to control the emulation from the sound thread, and that is what a couple of emulators actually do (my own Pocket C+4 and tedplay, but also plus4emu among others).

Actually, as stated on the website I am intending to rewrite major parts of the codebase and - BINGO - sound shall come first! wink I'll see what I can do about it but latency will never really go away, sadly...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-07-24
16:03:07

Yeah, that was a silly "joke" anyway. Once I looked in the changes files, I saw that those lines had [FIX] in front of them.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-07-24
16:05:00

No worries mate happy As I always put it: "értem én a tréfát, csak nem szeretem" grin (erm... I am not sure how to translate this happy )

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-07-24
17:05:35

We do have a couple of phrases like that ("ismét jót derültünk vidéki versenyzőnk humorán..." happy) (Sorry for the off-topic. YAPE rulez!)

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-24
20:06:29

Cheers Gaia. I did kinda guess it might not be your fault and was thinking it could be down to how it's processed. Out of date hardware for you still running on the same tech from the 90's lol. happy

Yeah no worries bro, it's only a hairs width out. Indeed if you stick with it or have not used a real machine in a good while then you'd never notice the difference. I'll have to remember that word you spoke off: latency

wink grin

Cheers bud!

Posted By

Litwr
on 2012-07-25
02:02:52

A lot of thanks. happy However the printer emulation is still not perfect. We can't select the paper size—this cuts printer output from GEOS. There is also tiny inaccuracy when we print GEOS graphics. I also eager to see the line feed button—it exists with plus4emu. ;-)

Posted By

Degauss
on 2012-07-25
05:48:43

Thanks for this! wink

Posted By

Lavina
on 2012-07-25
08:05:49

Gaia! Yape will be perfect when it will be able to reproduce the effect my real iron did when I plugged the joystick to the tape port (one small plastic center pin had to be broken for that) and typed LOAD then pressed RETURN and moved the joy upwards while looking at the PRESS PLAY ON TAPE message. grin

I used to show this off to friends like Paul, Impy, Action and Harry. My plussy suffered no damage from this, but the screen effect was REALLLLY scary. happy

@Csabó: Ismét jót nevettünk vidéki barátunk csattanós humorán. ;-) Nálunk így dívott.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-25
12:33:46

One more feature needed before that can happen, before we get perfect....

A reset button that can be held just like the real machines. When sound is playing you can keep the current note playing as the machine has frozen until you let go of the button. This has no use what so ever other than adding in a long note to a tune on the last bar to give it an ending like period and timed just right it is a perfect end for the game as the machine is resets - just for kicks only and nothing else haha!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-25
13:05:42

I'd like to see a fullscreen windowed mode (not just fullscreen), and one that is adjustable by dragging the corner out.

The double-window size is still too small for me

Posted By

Lavina
on 2012-07-25
14:36:14

Let's open a "craziest requests for YAPE" topic then. wink

Posted By

Chronos
on 2012-07-25
17:10:42

my wish grin

1, autosnapshot with selectable time grin it will be great when i using botticelli, can i use as undo grin or if i/you betatesting stuff...

2, merge plus4emu's gfx converter into yape with better file manager

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-07-25
16:06:31

Ok now, my replies in in an exception-stack style order:

@Sixteen Plus: that is possible even now, just unselect the "Use GDI option", then you can just maximize the window. It is not saved in the ini file though (should be, actually happy ).

@MIK: I recall this was sort of implemented at some point... a long time ago... temporarily happy Actually it's a valid point, I mean this is the way the machine behaves, right? Since the TED has no RESET pin, the CPU is the real deal... that should cover everything more or less wink It has to be tracked down on the schematics though what exactly happens.

@Lavina: wow, man. This sounds scarier than Drive Music.

@Litwr: yeah, you have submitted these bug reports which is much appreciated and not forgotten. It's just that it's a mundaine detail for now and requires implementing proper clocking for the printer instead of the "fake" one I am using now. I really did not want to delay the release any longer.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-25
16:43:05

All this time and I never realised lol. Cheers happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-26
05:17:48

Gaia,

Although it can be a pain none of the screen modes save I always thought it was for the best just in case you get caught out. I mean all the options are in window mode, but you can run Yape on say a notebook and use an external screen and if it's locked you may become stuck, although ALT/RETURN should sort that out. Either way I guess it makes no difference.

I was joking about the rest button in Yape as you know. happy
I always do a hard reset and better for it if you get my meaning. There is no on/off switch to wear out in Yape and with-in the blink of any eye all the memory is clear unlike the real machines ha! wink

Sixteen Plus,

400x300 (4:3) is the one I always use for full screen. Less for the the PC as a whole to cope with and very quick indeed. A step closer to the real thing as it were. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024