Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Andy_H
on 2004-11-25
07:02:21
 Treasure Island

Hi I'm new to this forum. I've always loved the Plus 4 and still have the one I got when I was a kid (in 1984). I also have a C16. Anyway, I've downloaded the ROM for Treasure Island and using the arrow keys it only lets me walk right and none of the other keys work. Can anyone help?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-11-25
10:06:23
 Re: Treasure Island

You are on the right track. Most of what you can do in the game is just that: walk around. The one additional thing you can do in this game by pressing the fire button (or Ins or CTRL on the keyboard) is throw your sword. However, you must be carrying one for that to work, if you have no sword, it does nothing. You can either pick one lying around, or you can take one away from an enemy: go close enough so that it throws its sword at you, and duck. When the sword "lands", you are free to pick it up.

Posted By

Andy_H
on 2004-11-25
10:40:29

Thanks, but what I meant was that the only direction I can walk is right! The left, down, and up arrows don't seem to function on this game. Does everyone else have this problem?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-11-25
14:36:42

Are you sure that the joystick semulation is set up properly? Click Settings --> Input Setup, select "Cursor keys" under Joystick emulation via keyboard. Then make sure that "Swap joystick port" is checked in the settings menu (this way Joystick port 2 is emulated). Does that help?

Posted By

Andy_H
on 2004-11-25
17:00:31

Perfect! Thanks you've been really helpful. Much appreciated. It's one of my favourites but I haven't been able to play it but now I can.

Posted By

Bacon
on 2004-11-29
08:08:28

Since I'm in a educational mood today, I'd like to to teach some terminology wink

The Treasure Island file you downloaded is not a ROM. In the context of emulators, a ROM is a binary image of the contents of a ROM chip. Most games for the C16 and Plus/4 came on tape; a few came on disk. In a format usable in emulators, they are either tape images (.tap), disk images (.d64), or simply the plain program itself as it would be saved on a disk or a tape (it then usually has the extension .prg).

Many people wrongly call all games used in emulators "ROMs", probably because the first emulators emulated arcade machines and consoles, where the games indeed are stored on ROM chips. The binary files with the games were therefore called "ROM images", which got shorted to ROMs. When emulators of computers were developed, people who didn't know what a ROM chip is probably assumed that any game suited for an emulator was called a ROM.

To someone like me, who learned back in the 80s what a ROM chip is, it was very confusing when I started using emulators to see people refer to disk-based games for Commodore computers being reffered to as ROMs.

So:
- A program on cartridge or built into a chip in a machine: ROM (BASIC, the KERNAL and the 3+1 software in a Plus/4 are all ROMs)
- A tape that's been transferred to a format that can be used in an emulator: Tape image
- A disk that's been transferred to a format that can be used in an emulator: Disk image

Class dismissed.

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-11-29
10:37:26

Using the word ROM for a PRG files is fine by me. wink

A PRG is the preserved state at which RAM locations have been saved at thus every time these RAM saved images have been reloaded it retruns the RAM back into its original state as if it was a ROM. Thats why some people call them ROM's because its a hard copy of RAM. Thats where the confusion comes from me thinks.

Blame MAME. happy

Posted By

Bacon
on 2004-11-30
04:03:15

Lando, you've just given a whole new meaning to the expression "trying to fit a round peg in a square hole" wink

Can you blame every game in MAME for the name ROM that some who come here have given to the shapes that are images of tapes?

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-11-30
09:21:14

'Blame mame' as in the sence it rhymes with. happy
This goes back to what you said, "probably because the first emulators emulated arcade machines" ect... wink

Anyways all of this goes back to what I said. Files, PRG's.
A TAP/E is only a form of media where these RAM dumps have been stored. wink

Posted By

Lee Dobbs
on 2004-11-30
18:55:11

For anyone who is interested i will soon be releasing the follow up to Treasure island. It should be ready for christmas 2004 it will play directly on your PC so look out for "Return to Treasure Island". I have tried to track Gregg Duddle down for his permission however no luck. I will post some screen shots for your pleasure over the coming days. I spent many a rainy day playing the original when i dreamed of becomming a programmer, 18 years later and a budding programmer, long john silver watch out Matey

Lee Dobbs

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-11-30
21:42:41

I contacted Greg regarding copyright of the game. He said he does not own them, but the companies who released his games do. If it was up to him, he would have granted us the right to publish the games, but he can't. We still do publish them, it's just a gray area instead of white wink

However it will be nice to see a remake. Looking forward to it, keep us posted.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024