Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2024-08-25
18:33:40
 IRQ Turbo!

IRQ TurboIRQ Turbo is a new turbo tape mastering program, which allows for the playing of music, animations, or even simple games while the main program loads in the background.

The package includes a conversion of the C64 loader game 'Invade-A-Load' as a demonstration of the turbo's capability.

Instructions are provided for creating your own Invade-A-Load tapes and the rest of the turbo functions, so try it out!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-08-25
18:33:40
 Re: IRQ Turbo!

Congratulations; this is a first on Plus/4 happy

On C64, it was quite common for commercial releases to have music + other nice stuff while loading (here's one example). I guess the reason why this never happened for our computer was the C16: most games were (unfortunately) targeting the 16K models, memory was too precious. The closest thing we got was those cool PETSCII loader screens for games like Kikstart.

But actually playing a little game while loading? What luxury grin

Posted By

Crazy
on 2024-08-26
09:07:08

Invaders (Livewire)... wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-08-26
10:49:34

That's an excellent point! I'm honestly shocked that we missed this. The topic of "were the loaders that played music" came up in 2019, check that discussion - we concluded that the closest thing was Rabló-Rulett.

But oops, Invaders (Livewire)... Well, it's not exactly music, but definitely looks like an IRQ loader, with sound effects and a "blocks to load" countdown. And the notes for the game clearly say so surprised (I checked the logs, that comment was added by MIK in 2014. He has an extensive collection of cassettes.)

BTW, both games are from 1987, so without know the month, I'm not sure which one was truly the first. Nevertheless, Ulysses777's turbo is really cool happy

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2024-08-26
11:45:41

Just to explain what Invaders (Livewire) does: the loader itself is a regular Supersoft turbo often found in Kingsoft games, except that instead of changing the border colour, it takes the hardware cursor flash value from $FF1F, shifts the bits left, then puts it in the $FF0E sound frequency.

Posted By

Verona
on 2024-08-26
17:48:27

Another great thing to us. Not just for C64. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024