Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Dan7
on 2023-01-31
09:55:56
 chatGPT+4

Greetings to all the fellow +4 fans!
Today I asked chatGPT to write a poem about our favorite machine and got back this:
(Spot the mistake, easy to find happy)

The Commodore Plus/4, a computer so fine
With its sleek design, it was truly divine
With its 64K RAM, it was ahead of its time
And its power and capability, so sublime

With its advanced Basic, programming was a breeze
And its impressive graphics, a true aesthetic feast
Its five built-in software programs, a real bonus treat
Making it a popular choice, with users elite

From gaming to productivity, the Plus/4 could do it all
And its versatility, made it a standout among its peers so small
With its affordability and ease of use, it had it all
Making the Commodore Plus/4, a computer that still stands tall.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-01-31
14:07:16
 Re: chatGPT+4

What error? 3+1 = 5, that's close enough for me wink

Posted By

Dan7
on 2023-01-31
16:09:00

Yep, it's funny how nicely it can summarize some details but then the number 4 (even from the name itself!) fails to pass through those sophisticated neural networks. However, the text is quite biased pro-plussy, so let's forgive that. wink

Posted By

Litwr
on 2023-02-01
01:24:04

IMHO the AI is correct about 5, the fifth element is Basic. However I am disappointed that the AI missed superb colors and flexible graphics of the +4.

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-02-01
07:42:39

It was going great until the built-in software was mentioned, it's something we try to forget about. grin

Posted By

Litwr
on 2023-02-01
11:42:32

It has become almost commonplace in our community to criticize these 3+1 programs. But let me argue with this a little. The built-in editor helped me a lot in the 1988-89. I needed to prepare short reports as my student assignments. I didn't have a disk drive. So the editor was very useful for me, it can be run instantly! Of course, it was slow to save to or load from tape, but the documents were small and that was acceptable to me. I was able to use my Epson compatible printer to print these documents. It was really cool, the alternative was to use handwriting, and my skills there were of such poor quality that it could affect my grades.

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-02-01
20:12:30

@Litwr,
The 3+1 could have been a great package at it's original double size. The exchangeable cartridges originally planned, were also a great idea.
Unfortunately there are such huge limitattions in the 3+1 package, I cannot really understand and finally made the opinions about the Plus/4 really bad...
These were:
-Maximum 100 lines long documents: this is such a limitation you cannot explain. I agree for short notes it could be all right. But with 100 lines it is not a word processor any more. Because it called itself Word Processor.
The program ran from ROM, so there should be a LOT of available RAM
-Maybe your memory tricks you here, or there was a hacked 3+1 version. The original 3+1 could not save to tape, just to disc drive. In Europe it was a fatal failure, as only "rich boys" could afford a floppy drive, at least at the beginning. So, for MOST of us the 3+1 was useless without "save document" feature.
https://www.retro-commodore.eu/c16-plus4-software/

Commodore should have put the 16KB sized Script Plus into ROM, and maybe the Calc/Plus. There were feature rich programs, noone would complaint.
Both of them are rather good programs. They could save on tape too.

Commodore's Microillustrator was a good program too (there was a ROM cartridge version too), but could not save on tape.
I worked a lot in that, and it is falsely stated that it is a Hires drawing program. No, it is multicolor mode paint program.
BTW it is equivalent to C64's Koala Painter, just without the Koala Pad (as it would require analogue inputs we do not have)

I made these pictures in Microillustrator ~30 years ago (the 3rd color was NOK in Skoro's demo, so I modified artificially back on PC, as the originals lost):
As a young guy I was really happy with the results, though now I see they could have be done better, but I stopped it as my eyes hurt :-)

Back to the topic:
-3D globes shows the wide palette we could use. :-) second tought: it could have been done with a C64 palette too :-D
-At the same time show the weakness of the multicolor mode too: one less free color per attribute tahn on C64 (red spots on the globes)

Posted By

Litwr
on 2023-02-02
08:57:26

Russian 3+1 makes the trick with tapes.
I can also mention built-in software for the Commodore LCD. Bil Herd told that it had very good quality. IMHO it could be ported for the +4.
I am also always waiting new pictures from you. ;)

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-02-02
12:07:27

I knew it was a hacked version happy

Nowadays I work mostly on PETSCIIs, those may satisfy some ppl, some others just see the roughness of them.
Frankly speaking, it is much faster to create an acceptable PETSCII pic, than a good quality multicolor, not to mention hires...

Unfortunately my favourite editor is just for C64, and the export options are not plus/4 friendly. I know, there are a lot of options, including Final Cartridge 3 emulated in VICE, but did not put the efforts yet to convert them (there are 6-8 acceptable quality).
I promised I try the ECM supporting editor on Plus/4 too, so maybe some new pics will come soon happy

Posted By

Litwr
on 2023-02-03
00:12:04

MMS
Actually you don't need any hack if you want to use tapes with the 3+1 editor. Just make your text, press Run/Stop and Reset simultaneously, then S"filename",1,C12C,DEF3, and then G32C4. To load the text use the Reset, L, and G.

Posted By

seff
on 2023-02-03
06:20:50

@Litwr this is a nice hack.

I tried using the word processor, but it was impractical: for example I had to split a short text to three parts, so it was very inconvenient (maximum 99 lines). And I did have a 1551 floppy drive.

I never understood why the program didn't use the memory banking routine to read/write from RAM and run from ROM. Or does it execute from ROM? I would have welcomed to have standalone Script/Plus and Calc/Plus instead. Or even compiled Notepad+4 would do the job wink.

The Commodore LCD software package would have been a kill app suite. Maybe we can spin off a separate 3+1 software thread on the subject in the forum...

EDIT:
3+1 runs from RAM. Such a waste of precious RAM.

Posted By

Dan7
on 2023-02-03
06:56:39

IMHO if they do not screw up the integrated software, the plussy would have been less of a market failure and it would not have been dumped on Hungary so cheap and in big quantities, then we would miss now a great part of the scene... With this twisted logic we could even be grateful for that 99 lines limitation happy Fun fact: the first ever "hack" of 8-9 years old myself was to start the word processor in graphic mode, then the machine gave a beautiful crash-screen full of colorful strange characters, felt like when Tom Hanks says "I have made fire" in Cast Away grin

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024