Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-05
07:16:09
 A Never Used Loading Screen Rises

Dizasterblaster Unused Loading ScreenAnd now for something completely different. And weird. Why wasting time to draw the graphics for a loading screen, and in the end do not use it?

After some chatting with Andrew Morris, author of several graphics for various Mr. Chip Software classic hits, he recovered some diskettes containing sparse bits and workstages of graphics, mostly done for famous C64 games. In most of the D64s, there's a Graphics Master copy, clear signal that Andrew used the C16 charset editor made by Michelangelo Pignani as main graphic tool in order to edit characters.
In the very last one of the whole pack, apart of another copy of the formerly cited editor, and the original charset done for Xadium logo and letters, there is a graphics set which can be displayed by loading and running two separate custom viewers written in BASIC. It's a DizasterBlaster logo, plus the Americana label, one viewer is for C64, the other for C16. It should have been used as loading screen for a cassette loader.

Andrew Morris himself declared he doesn't remember why that screen hadn't been added to the final release, though ready to go. What we can see is the declared release date: year 1986, one year before the official release year. Viewer+graphics can be downloaded from here.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-06
07:18:40
 Re: A Never Used Loading Screen Rises

Very nice find! Always found it odd why this game was push to one side, no big fuss was made about it and then showed up on C16 Compilation out of the blue with 3 other games under Mastertronic, of course all Mr Chip games.

Bandits at Zero I'm sure was done in the same way, even Trailblazer but in comparison this DizasterBlaster title screen which was hand drawn to get the lettering is a nice bit of art work indeed by loading screen standards for C16/Plus4! happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-03-06
09:11:29
 Re: A Never Used Loading Screen Rises

Yeah, this is a big surprise... I always nothing new can possibly turn up about the old classics and then BAM wink

I wonder if he did the graphics for any other games and it's uncredited.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024