Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Gaia
on 2005-11-14
07:31:19
 Re: Expierince with Interlaced Modi

Yes, the digitized palette is only in because many people found it to be nicer than the calculated one, altough I never use that myself either. It isn't even specific to Yape, that palette was first featured in M.E.S.S. then later utilized in the WinEMU and Artifex emulators and was considered as a very good approximation in its time (around 1999 I think). A little less known is the fact that this palette was made by the (then) maintainer of the CBM drivers of M.E.S.S. (Peter Trauner) who had never owned a real 264 and therefore used RGB values extracted from a screenshot made with a TV card via the composite line (and publicly available at C64.rulez.org). Yape versions before 0.31 had this palette built in, too. It is now however converted to YUV internally when selected, so that it can be used with video display emulation, either.

The calculated palette uses chroma angles and luma voltages (just like VICE does). Voltages are based on actual oscilloscope measurements done by TLC, although we still have the gamma to worry about. And gamma DOES matter a lot more than hue, when perceiving colours! Chroma (hue) angles are from the TED preliminary manual with some appropriate manual adjustments where the colours seemed to be off a bit. As far as I recall from a conversation with John Selck (aka Graham) VICE xplus4 admittedly has 10 of the C64 chroma values which is not really case in my opinion (and anyone who converted C64 pictures back then, could prove it I guess wink ).

Last time I heard Larry/WLS experimented a lot with interlaced palettes and found the calculated palette much better, too.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024