Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2004-11-04
08:27:24
 Re: Just about the vote rating

SVS,

1) Not all of us that visit the site, can vote. I cannot. I imagine a lot of the newer visitors to this site cannot unless they specifically ask Csabo or Lando for "membership".

2) There are 2000+ games and 1300+ demos listed on this site but just short of 900 utility programs. The chances of someone using the 16 or Plus/4 as a game device is higher than someone using it as its' original intent (programming or business). I believe this to be the general nature of technology -- if it cannot be used for entertainment, then the average person is not interested. I cannot remember the last time I actually had a customer ASK for a refrigerator with a computer in it, but I receive several requests a week for advanced televisions and game systems.

3) Those of us who have been "in the scene" for a long time realize the difference between a labor of love program that took weeks or months to develop, as opposed to a quick program simply to say it was written. We can also see the skills of a programmer by the experienced use of memory allocation, graphics, sound, and features. It is natural for an "advanced" program such as Tom Thumb to obtain a higher rating than an Infocom text adventure in this way.

4) Some ideas have been written and rewritten many times, and maybe the voter is trying to indicate their opinion of the *best* program of that idea. It does not necessarily mean that the program YOU reference is poor, but simply that there is a better alternative.

All of the above is my opinion only, and does not reflect the different ideas and opinions of the moderator of this forum .

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024