Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-09-15
 Re: Strange 1551

Following up on this auction.....

I received an email from C64doc in Germany about this auction. He stated that this was simply a 1541 in a 1551 case (the serial holes were cut by a previous owner and 1541 internals inserted). I followed the email address back to forum-64.de, entered the forum there, and C64doc had just left about 12 minutes prior. Another forum administrator, AC, entered and was kind enough to ring C64doc to tell him to reenter the forum.

C64doc attempted to reach the seller to try to get our bids retracted because the disk drive is not as described, but the seller either didn't get our emails in time or didn't want to retract them. It didn't matter either way because another German user popped up at the last minute and outbid the EU35,00 that I had bid when I thought this was some rare device.

I had a nice conversation with Doc and AC, as well as a couple other people who popped in during the two hours I sat in this German chat room. I would like to thank everyone for switching to English just so that I could follow the conversation. happy

I also made some friends that will make the transfer of future Ebay items simpler. I will be looking for NTSC 2002 and 1084 monitors (inexpensive but working) while they will be looking for 1551s (again inexpensive but working). I see a major increase in my postage costs in the future, but it will be worth it for some of the things that seem to have disappeared not long after the Plus/4 was removed from store shelves 18 years ago.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024