Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-07-27
 Re: Fantastic Four

An afterthought about Questprobe games for the Plus/4:

The freely available downloads on the Internet are NOT byte-for-byte disk images of the original games. They have been patched, crunched, converted from text-only versions (Spiderman), etc. They no longer represent the issued disk or cassette. They replicate the look and feel, such as Linux now replicates Windows without using Microsoft code.

Programs that I have available for download on www.cbm264.com are either posted with permission of the owner (Jim Hehl and SVS programs included) or I have attempted to locate the owner without success. In either case the downloads I make available are as close to the original issue as possible. If the download was not made from my personal collection, credit is given to the donator.

Those of you outside the US, I do not expect you to be knowledgeable of the laws here. Simply, if you own the same game I do, I can give you an exact copy to repair or replace your defective disk. If you own a computer magazine, I can provide you with the executable code as published in the magazine. I cannot modify the program and pass it off as my own (reference game conversions by Csory and others, the database lists the converter as the author, not as the person who fixed or converted it). I specifically cannot reverse-engineer or remove copy protections without permission of the copyright owner.

I will make this concession to the group as a whole: if someone wishes to take Fantastic Four and crunch/modify/patch it so that it lists on a .d64 as a single file, with no disk access required after the initial load and run (as the Hulk releases found freely on the 'net), please contact me by email. Send me a scan of your Fantastic Four C64/Apple/IBM/TRS-80/etc disk, cassette, or cover of the owners manual as proof of ownership, and I will provide a disk image of Version K for you to convert. (The BATA file on Version J is corrupt. If you want to take DATA from the 64 version and convert it by hand, you won't need my Version K.)

Under no circumstances is the original .d64 that I provide to be spread, uploaded elsewhere, copied onto disk and given away, or emailed to other people.

Also, you accept any responsibility if Marvel objects to your conversion.

Otherwise, I will await permission from Marvel (which was requested almost a month ago, but no response has yet been received), and if Marvel allows I will post Version K on my own site.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024