Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-02-09
 Jim -->

I don't remember where I learned that; I think from a Google search for commodore +1551 +6525.... the SX, if I can get time to do it, will be transformed into a 264D (hush hush though I want to surprise the world! wink ) with a choice of ROMs built-in.... slide a switch and hit RESET and get a different ROM. I'll probably end up using a 1541-II controller board to control the disk drive, as the SX disk controller board's wiring was severely mucked up. By using a different controller I can gut most of the existing bad wiring and wire compared to a known good unit.

I think one of the last pre-C64 units, I want to say the B128, uses the 6525 too but getting ahold of one of those would be too expensive to part out.

The rest of the Magic Voice should be somehow mateable to the Plus/4 since the V364 didn't have a 6525 inside. Therefore by my logic I can use the one cart for two projects.

Back to the SX, first thing is moving the disk drive up to the upper slot; the Plus/4 motherboard needs the space where the 1541 currently sits at the bottom. But by looking at the mounting bracket, Commodore didn't plan on putting a full 1541 assembly at the top. The space is different, the bracket actually angles outward. Could use spacers I guess, but I need to get the bracket out of the way entirely if I want to mount the +4 motherboard there.

I guess I could go 1581 in there, but I'd want the 1563 ROMs for it..... just to make it more 'original' .... hehehe happy Are you still gonna send a 1581 mechanism? As I said I only need the Newtronics D357K mechanism, the newer Alps uses different connectors (this one has a seperate power connector like a PC floppy). I'll need a new faceplate too; I've cut mine and it looks bad. Or if you don't have one, I'll just sell this bad unit (the board and case are good) for parts on Ebay; I should be able to get my $20 back out of it when fully working ones are going for $70-100.

And I still think that the Commodore LCD was a TED unit. It has the Plus/4 arrow keys, built-in function ROM, no sprites or fantastic sound, and the matching 1563 that was displayed had the up and down color bars like the Plus/4, not left and right color bars like the C64 and 1541.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024