Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-01-24
14:57:00
 Re: SD2IEC Issue

I think your problem is, that at the very first time you tried to load the D64 or PRG, you selected the very first program offered by Windows (Microsoft Word), and now it is the default.

How to solve it?
1) Certainly first you need to install (extract) an emulator YAPE, Plus4Emu. Remember where is it
As VICE can emulate different machines, may not start in the mode can handle the Plus/4 files, but it has it's subfolders. Personally I do not like it so much than the other two.

2) In the Windows Explorer find your extracted file. You may RIGHT click on the D64 or PRG file and select "Use with..." or something like that at the bottom of the first group. then you can modify the program associated with the file (I have Hungarian Windows since years, sorry I do not know how it is called exactly in eg. Win10)

3) Select "Other Appplication"

4) if the emulator listed, select this. Plus4emu is not installed, but extracted to a folder, so it will be not listed

5) if not listed, then go to the very bottom of the offerered list and select "other local application", and you link the emulator.EXE from the folder you installled it

6) In both cases check in the box "always want to use the application"

But if you made a Emulator icon on the desktop, you can always directly open and run the PRG and D64 files from the emulator. (discs could be tricky sometimes, if you select performance mode, or 1551, or 1541, some program may work, some others not (fastloaders) )

SD Card issues (maybe not directly linked, but who knows?)
I read on an Amiga topic (SD card and Compactflash based filesystems), that some brand's cards perform much better that the others. Usually the "chipo" nonbranded cards can produce different reading issues, not coming from real memory defects, but some memory areas may react slower to the read request that it should. (so you may install a system to that and looks OK initially, but causes different hangups, etc)

Generally speaking I could conclude that Sandisk was always OK (noone reported a problem with them)
Suprisingly the Kingston (my fav brand) was also mentioned by few guys they had issue with them.
There was a guy who told he always have different problems. When I listed some better ones, and ask which one he had trouble, he told he always using branded ones but did not want to name any problematic one.

Although the topic did not go so deep, based on my past experience the Class10 speed cards I suppose will fulfill all these timing requirements, and any BETTER brand will do the job. (there are some brands who just buy it from cheaper manufacturers and relabel it, even if they sound good, have no knowhow in this business)

I do not want to say that faster and more expensive is always better, but even the Sandisk Ultra 16GB SDHC cards can be <15 USD only, sooo... (probably microSD cards with an adapter will do the same job, even cheaper).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024