Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

carrion
on 2017-12-11
10:18:02
 Re: Montezumas Revenge on C+4?

@bubis, @guys
ofcoz we don't have to load all into RAM but my idea was to do a game like I used to play in 80's on my c116 - loaded from tape wink
anyway I started doing some tests yesterday to see what are we standing on...

I ripped some levels from C64 version (screen is on $4400-$4800) and tried how they pack.
- So for example first screen packs into 230 bytes.
- some levels pack even into 104 bytes (the ones only with corridor)
I used HCL's byte boozer and I have to say it depicts quite quick right into screen memory $0c00

My second test was to create a 2x2 tileset and do a map of it mimicking the first screen (20x12 tiles). It looks very similar and actually is a good trade-off without loosing too much details. The first screen fits into 8 chars (64 bytes) and after packing it with byte boozer it has 86bytes. ofcoz I'll need a buffer of 20x12 to unpack it + then move tiles to screen. I'll do more tests with packing 2x2 maps and will let you know guys.
but if we do simple math and assume 86 bytes as average (IMO it will be less than that) and do multiply it by 99 screens the we have 8514 bytes for whole map.
Dont you think it starts to look doable now?
Ofcoz the techniques that Kichy describes could be used too.

So what do you think?

----------------------------
[edit]

last weekend there was an Atari party in Poland. I released two pics one of them was for Atari 8nit and had this Rick Dangerous / Montezuma's Revenge theme to it.
Today I've made quick mockup how this pic could look like on C+4.
Do you think it could be a title screen for Montezuma's Revenge kind of game for C+4? ;)
Enjoy

http://retronavigator.com/post/168430684008/i-wondered-how-my-latest-atari-8bit-image-could

[edit2]
I dont know why this link above is not clickable. I used the tag but it doesn't work

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024