Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-08-19
09:06:54
 Re: Possible 8501 replacement kit?

@Hypex: welcome! I try to help you coming back to the real Plussy users! :-)

1) Although I supposed, Chine to AU would be cheaper and faster than to Hungary, I see no difference

2) Tha HK page is good, brings up two, one of them is German. (off: I can't help, but for the "Charlotte" company always the Iron Maiden classic come into my mind: "Charlott the h*rlott")
As I see, both needs an offer request by email, I feel much more comfortable to just put the CPU into the basket, pay and forget.
Anyhow, I ordered in the last years more than two dozens of different stuff via Aliexpress, and I've never had any bad experience
(OK, once the cheapo car roof antenna did not perform as well as expected, still looks good)

3) Heatsink: generally speaking copper is slightly better, then alu, but really not a big difference.
(would be nice to apply a heatpipe on 8501 grin )
On the other hand the grease quality may do a big difference in thermal transfer. In the past after an upgrade I used Thermaltake grease in my PC, but I was unhappy with the result, CPU was very frequently close to upper limit.
Then I bought an Austrian grease, Noctua (you may check their fans too, they are very very silent - for a price). Compared to Thermaltake, with Noctua my CPU showed 8°C less and my GPU 5°C less. Why I mention it? In Hungary the Noctua grease costs less than the half than the upper class Arctic greases, and performance-wise it seems to be very same result.
Thin application of grease is much better than the thick ones.
That's why the preapplied double sided heat transfer tapes frequently fail: they are typically just too thick for the task.
So there are some cheap and good looking heatsinks on the Ebay and Ali with self adhesive tapes (really easy to apply), but with grease they would perform much better. Some Raspberry PI owners reported zero impact on CPU temp when used such a heatsink (even copper ones)

4) Heatsink #2
I think the size of heatsink (bigger radiation surface may help) could be increased into the direction of the memory chips/ROMs

5) 8501R4:
Would be nice. But. I saw a guy offering even 60USD for an 8501R4 chip, but he could not get. I think with a heatsink the 8501R1 will also perform well.

This guy had one R4 in the past, and he offers TED too, maybe worth to ask him:
https://www.ebay.it/sch/commdorec65/m.html?item=181999387743&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Anyhow, I would be surprised, if all the Aliexpress stock would be R1 only. I suppose it could be a kind of mixed batch.

6) Unfortunately the 8501 is soldered into the MB, not in socket.
So there is a high chance that I will kill the MB, when I try to remove the original IC and try to install a socket. (very bad soldering skills)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024