Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-04-18
02:25:09
 Re: Transfer cable

Hi Spectro,

Just yesterday I read about a possible method via IEC on Foppy drives.
I do not know the very details, but it seems, that if you have an 1541, you can daisy chain two computers to it. It means you create a very simpe "network" and the floppy disc inside the 1541 is your shared folder. One of the computer will write, the other can read few secods later. It was on the Wikipedia "C64 peripherials" I was digging for IEEE-488 stuff:

"Like the IEEE-488 interface, the CBM-bus offered the ability to daisy chain hardware together. This led to Commodore producing (via a third party) the Commodore 4015, or VIC-switch. This device (now rarely seen) allowed up to 8 Commodore 64s to be connected to the device along with a string of peripherals, allowing each computer to share the connected hardware.

It was also possible, without requiring a VIC-switch, to connect two Commodore 64s to one 1541 floppy disk drive to simulate an elementary network, allowing the two computers to share data on a single disk (if the two computers made simultaneous requests, the 1541 handled one while returning an error to the other, which surprised many people who expected the 1541's less-than-stellar drive controller to crash or hang). This functionality also worked with a mixed combination of PET, VIC-20, and other selected Commodore 8-bit computers."

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024