Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Gaia
on 2016-06-02
17:54:05
 Re: What is maximum resolution of TED no matter if possible to use?

gerliczer: well... you are right but this is just the TV you are talking about. I have put there a ~ to indicate the approximation but it looks a bit generous I agree happy The horizontal blanking interval under PAL is about ~12 usec, which would make our pixels 456 × 52 / 64 = 370 wide. TV cards indeed typically show 3-3 of them each side which is exactly the 368 pixels you have indicated. Not sure anymore how but I did manage to see 4-4 character width columns back in the day (~2003) on my old AKAI analogue TV set when I checked it for the emulator (it did have those adjust controls though and it was not possible to see all of it at once). I assumed it was because the TED itself spat out a shorter hblank. I go ahead and check whether there are actual oscilloscope measurements somewhere...

EDIT: could not find them but the - admittedly inaccurate - official TED doc indicates a 18 half-character wide horizontal blanking interval which in fact makes the screen 384 pixels wide. The crucial part are the SYNC pulses, so if these are OK, the blanking does not matter as much - I guess. But of course there are people out there with a lot better understanding of analogue TV broadcasting than me.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024