Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

jukka
on 2016-04-13
09:58:58
 TED player, cross assemblers, newbie

Hi,

I just found this site, have been interested of C16 long time, found two cool trackers, and after browsing demos and other stuff, I encountered 4mat's TED player with assembly sources.

Any tips for which assembler it might be able to compile, I tried C64asm but it doesn't seem to work, I have used DASM, but thought if there's some specific for C16.

Thanks !! Coool device, now I need to find where the hell get one, is there video/audio mods, and some disk emulator device working with SD/CF etc cards.

Posted By

SVS
on 2016-04-13
12:26:12
 Re: TED player, cross assemblers, newbie

Welcome jukka.
If you are finding an assembler running on Plus4, but able to produce machine language programs for C16 too, you can use mega assembler that I've written time ago.
There is a manual of course, but feel free to contact me if you need any info or suggestion.

Posted By

Jukka
on 2016-04-13
12:33:37

Thanks SVS ! Just now I am looking cross-assembler which is able to compile source for TED player by 4mat, at later point other stuff too. I just started today to explore these, I write music so first thing to do for me is to check I have all tools I need (I have worked other 8-bit computers and game consoles quite a long time happy ).

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-04-13
13:38:52

Do you prefer to actually "code" music? happy Otherwise, you'll be fine with the two trackers (cross-platform and native) that you've probably discovered already.

I'm not sure which assembler was used by 4mat. If it doesn't have to be his TED player, there are some other options available.

There's LODplay … Go to Csabo's page and scroll down. It can be compiled with his plus4ide. Furthermore, Csabo has uploaded many (all?) of his musics as source code. Usually, those are available for download on the demo's/game's page. Just check out his productions. Not sure, if there's a filter to list only his musics.

And there's TLCplay … by (obviously wink ) TLC. It's well documented and the source code is available as well.

Have a look at the Tools section! There you'll find various (cross-)development tools, e. g. assemblers.

Posted By

Jukka
on 2016-04-13
13:45:15

Yes, I prefer coding music. 4mat's player looked good for my purposes, I will check other ones later, thanks of the tips. I will use tracker's as well, but mostly coding, yes. I found some assemblers, need to check more, C64asm which was mentioned in 4mat's code didn't work, but I had little time to test, going to check again later. Just thought if there are some "standard" cross-assembly tools people are using as the processor is a bit different of 6502 (not sure if DASM for instance recognize 8501, will check that too).

Thanks !!

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-04-13
14:08:08

Jukka you was right at first assumption: 4Mat's crossassembler composing uses C64ASM to compile your tunes, you can find an example tune and read about it in the last, and nowadays quite dated Lone News 20 mag issue. Have to say I would prefer TLCplay...
Please consider alternatively to go for a Windows based tracker like Knaecketracker or a real iron based one like TEDzakker.

Posted By

Jukka
on 2016-04-13
16:11:08

Okay, yes it does, I tried to compile, but C64ASM just gave error about no file found. Until I realized it is old DOS program, so just changed longer filename to 8.3 DOS-format, and compiled without problems happy.

Downloaded and quickly checked TLCplay, looks good, I already have both trackers, so next, some reading of documents, and music ! happy

Thanks of help !!

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-04-13
16:18:33

Luca:
I think Jukka found those "two cool trackers" before he posted here wink Btw, when will the next issue of Lone News come out? happy It has never died officially, has it?

Jukka:
You are welcome! Can't have enough musicians and music coders on our platform =)

Btw, 7501/8501 is not really different from 6502. Just illegal opcode stuff is "non standard" … just as on C64's 6510.

Looking forward (actually, hearing forward wink ) to your first productions!

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-04-13
18:58:56

Chicken you're right, the mag has never declared its death happy Three thoughts take me away to actually release a new issue:
- some useful needings to be written and commented away from the net's times;
- time to code down a less embarassing code once forever;
- staying away from other projects.

Posted By

jukka
on 2016-04-14
03:37:47

Thanks Chicken, looking forward to work with TED, first sounds done and tested, still studying stuff and reading docs to fully understand how things work, I have experience only Atari and Spectrum stuff. Let's see, takes some time, very excited to make some music !!

Posted By

Chronos
on 2016-04-27
16:30:26

Check out my source package (Chronos of Absence) Ghosts 'n Goblins music box, it contains everything, ide, source, comments, resources! Worth to study it!

Posted By

jukka
on 2016-04-28
02:27:11

Thanks Chronos, found the package, and checking its content. Looks good !

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024