Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Gaia
on 2016-02-24
17:35:58
 Re: YAPE in a browser!

Huh, thanks for all the enthusiasm and feedback! hereby I try to address them:
- first off this is a minimally modified version of YapeSDL which is available at Codeplex with source code; the Emscripten related changes are not committed yet though but are not numerous.
- speed is very dependent on whether or not WebGL can be used; so far only Chrome managed to have that
- sound is indeed occasionally choppy I agree; on my PC it is usually very much OK, occasionally seems to lose sync somehow (could be an SDL/Emscripten issue since the desktop build does not have this)
- most function keys should be avoided altogether (except F2 for example) because they seem to mess up the SDL mess-age ( happy ) queue somehow; some Alt + key combos fail, too
- currently paused emulation can not be resumed (not an issue in the desktop build, so must be Emscripten)
- my AMD E-350 netbook scores 60 fps which is pretty good, too; note that the FPS is actually _the_ speed; the real frame rate is capped at 100 fps
- I shall add frameskip at one point, thanks for the tip
- I tweaked a little the joystick setup; changed from regular reset to forced reset
- Games: currently only +4 games are included (Xargon Wars was there; just added Cuthbert in the cooler); most C64 games do work as well (even Mayhem in Monsterland) but I have yet to figure out how to separate the two sets of games - perhaps C64 games names shall start with a capital letter since Emscripten is case sensitive just like POSIX (it implements POSIX actually). Also this version of Yape does not yet have the serial IEC protocol emulation which could allow LOAD-ing PRG's from the virtual filesystem with BASIC commands (YAPE is not using ROM traps).

Please report any ideas you have! happy And please download the desktop YapeSDL build to see the "original". It has pre-built binaries for Linux 64 bit and Windows.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024