Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-12-28
 My view

Like all computers back then what ever they were created for they all ended up as games machines. Commodore helped with sells of Plus/4 when they shipped the machine in the UK with 11 games, joysticks and tape deck. Those who were looking at getting their 1st computer (cheap) had it all in a Plus/4. This killed the C16 marked and in the UK the C16 did'nt come with joysticks, tape deck nor a good line up of games. The C16 also sold for £40 pounds more than the Plus/4 package!

But where Commodore had released the C16 this alone had killed the Plus/4 from the start because of of the C16's limited memory size and able to use the same software. A fact that still remains today is people don't upgrade, buy addons for their computers/games machines so most C16's would of been standard 16K. And this is why 99% of the software releases between 1984-1988 were C16/Plus4 or 16k. And I DO call the computer a C16/Plus4 and always will happy And thats why my C16/Plus4 ClassiX was named as it was because that is the truth, the real reality of the machines wink

I think the C16/Plus4 faired very well in its liife. We got 4 years out of it! Loads of games within that time. But again it was the C16 that killed the Plus/4. Around 1988 we saw the C64 turning in to the home arcade machine which was something you could'nt do with 16k and thats why the C16/Plus4 went to its grave.

I find it funny how people do go on as if the Vic20 was the daddy of the C64. C16/Plus4 out done it in every way happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024