Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-01-28
18:56:21
 Re: how to play 8bit samples

I spoke some time ago with one of the creators of a sample player, and he said, that after mixing the 3 8bit samples it was a nightmare to bring it down to 3 bit resoltion, there was always some distorsion in the calcuation. Finally there was an idea to create a table (this method is very well known and used by the scene now, but back to 1991 seemed to be a bright idea) that for each 8bit value variation they crated the 3 bit equivalent value, so with this table without very intensive and smart calculations you can set the proper value. It if did not sound right, then only one of teo values need to be changed, not the complete routine.

8bit sample could be pushed out to the Digi-blaster output of the SID card, that is an 8bit output, but this hardware is highly unsupported.
I do not know,how well is documented, or just need a register address?

Also, the User port P0-P7 bits can be used to send out the 8bit sound data to a potential DA converter (like my Ferranti ZN428E) and it will also do the conversion CPU resource free. It is NOT done yet, but wll be very CLOSE to my PC Covox card (connected to PC Printer port):

I think it is much more CPU efficient (not to mention better quality) if you bit-bang the the 8bits to a device has 8bit resolution.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024