Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-10-29
12:51:06
 Re: Commodore Basic's oddnesses

Illustrated adventure with nice full screen (almost) photorealistic pictures happy

The aim is to look better than even the Magnetic Scroll games, that could be quite a challange, but what will be plus on the look, will be a minus on complexity
No real parser. (try to do some icon based control with sprite cursor emulation, but duh, slow as hell. RS232 mouse support is a still a questionmark due to slow driver)

I have all the maps, concept art, ingame special characters, fonts, and most of the unconverted GFX, but even if I break it into 3 parts (like the movie...) it needs significant disc space.

The only real limitation is the disc space, and the number of pictures that can be stored on a D64 without compression, I do not want disc side control, file loading error handling and swapping. Because of it I am a little stuck, as even the first story part does not fit into D64
(would be great to have support of IEE4888 SFD1001 with 1MB disc side, haha).

There is no real memory efficient and quick enough GFX compression method with Commodore BASIC. Even via assembly it is a big task to get something useful, not to speak about the complexity of proper compression. I went deep inside LZW compression method, but there is no real easy way...

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024