Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

plus4man
on 2015-07-15
14:36:06
 What's your favorite Mastertronic game?

I loved Mastertronic, always buying games direct. They simply made many classics. What's your favorite?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-07-15
16:59:45
 Re: What's your favorite Mastertronic game?

It's a toss up between Big Mac & Mr. Puniverse. Both equally great games. I've managed to complete both.

Posted By

plus4man
on 2015-07-15
18:58:16

Gotta be those games are great fun as they just found a never released C64 game that looks like Mr. Puniverse on the C64 it plays the same but never came out?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-07-15
22:44:10

That sounds like Big Mad which is very similar, has much of the same screens as well as new ones, and basically a whole different layout. There seems to be some other differences too. But it is quite clearly Mr. Puniverse on the C64. But this one wasn't just recently found as it was downloadable from the link I just gave in 2007. But it may have been available for a lot longer than that.

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2015-07-16
05:44:38

Big Mac, Mr.Puniverse, Squirm and Tutti Frutti are great games published by Mastertronic

Posted By

Sidney
on 2015-07-16
11:26:27

Most of my C16 collection is Mastertronic games! Kikstart has to be my favourite but there are many others. Mastertronics support for the 264 range was brilliant. It is amusing watching Steve Benway getting angry whilst playing Mr Puniverse. I love his videos but feel he undervalues our superb Lil machine a tad!

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-07-16
13:06:28

Steve Benway... if only he played the games to get some practice in before turning the camera on!! wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-07-16
15:24:46

Yeah I like old Mr. Benway. But he does repeat that he will just play them off the cuff without any practice or even reading the full instructions beforehand. I find that a bit silly tbh as it really doesn't give the games enough fair justice. Still, I do enjoy his entertaining take on things and he is an excellent narrative talker, but because of his well known lack of research and practice on the game beforehand, I never take his personal final review as final happy

Posted By

plus4man
on 2015-07-16
15:24:46

BIG MAD was obviously a never released sequel to BIG MAC on the C64. So is it possible to convert BIG MAD to the Plus/4? It may be different than Mr. Puniverse or Big Mac, so I think it may be great to have a third installment in the PUNIVERSE SAGA!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-07-16
16:46:05

My favourite is (obviously) Oblido, Mastertronic was responsible for that one as well. But I do acknowledge that it's not everyone's cup of tea... and they have lots of other fun titles.

If you mean this Big Mad: http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=15146, that's just a hack of Big Mac by Csaba Németh, a (very) old school game hacker. He created many level edited games on Plus/4 as well. It's not an official release by any means.

Posted By

plus4man
on 2015-07-17
11:27:25

I don't think Big Mad was a remake of the C64 Big Mac, as its more like Mr. Puniverse for the Plus/4, and no Mr. Puniverse games were ever done for the Plus/4! The C64 Big Mac is nothing like its superior Plus/4 version!

Posted By

Kitty
on 2015-07-20
20:59:57

I will choose Kane but there really are far too many awesome Mastertronic games to make a 100% set in stone Number 1 happy

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Kane

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-05-29
16:59:45

Wow, I recently found a nice Tutti Frutti clone on ZX spectrum, called Farmer Jack in Harvest Havoc (2006)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSbVSeRRBUg

And the opnions were:
MicroMart - "The graphics are nice and bright ... special mention should be made to the wonderful AY music ... Farmer Jack in Harvest Havoc has a good amount of polish to it, and is kind of naive fun which will please most of you out there in the wide world of retro" - 8/10

RGCD - "Quite simply, this is the best single-screen arcade game I've ever played on the 128K Spectrum ... Everything about it is pure class, from the ace backing music to the crystal-clear graphics and pixel-perfect collision detection." - 86%

ZXF - "The graphics are extremely pleasing to look at and the music is superb. It's the kind of game your six year old could get into, and to hell with the PSP. In fact, this is exactly the sort of game we need more of to get that generation interested in the Speccy." - 86%

ZX-Shed - "Farmer Jack is a modern day ZX Spectrum classic. I kid you not. It is extremely playable, fun and addictive ... But don't take my word for it, Buy it, play it. You will love it." - 93%

Posted By

JimmyCoupe
on 2017-05-30
06:06:29

I have always enjoyed Kane. It was my first game I ever bought for the Commodore Plus4 and it gave me many hours of fun.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2017-05-30
19:51:14

@MMS
I would say that Tutti Frutti is a cross hybrid between two old classic coin-op games with levels alternating between the two clone variants, Mr. Do! and Pengo.

Whilst Farmer Jack in Harvest Havoc! on the ZX Spectrum is just more of a bad Mr. Do! clone than Tutti Frutti.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-06-01
15:43:10

@ Baz,
Thank you for the info, seems I am too young to know those gems happy (43)
Really happy to learn new things. Arcade games were really out of my focus.

Posted By

Charlemagne
on 2017-06-04
15:32:52

Oh, one of my favorite Plus/4 game is also Tutti Frutti!

I tried to write (in 2011) a remake of it in SDL (so it works under Linux and Windows, too).

Have a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8NgDw14PM

Posted By

SVS
on 2017-06-05
11:41:42

Without doubt, I vote for Kikstart grin grin

Posted By

Charlemagne
on 2017-06-05
12:22:29

Never mind SVS! happy happy

One of my favorite game on Plus/4 is also Kikstart!

I tried to write (in 2011) a remake of it in SDL (so it works under Linux and Windows, too).

Have a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIuFTvvQMKw

Posted By

blinddarm
on 2017-06-08
11:48:54

Hello,

most of the Matertronic games are really nice but i wonder no one likes the Game Prospector Pete.
It's a really good clone from O'Riley's Mine on Commodore 64.
IMO it even looks better, e.g Graphics are very nice.

Apart fom this, my favourites are Kikstart and Squirm (<---good old Memorys)

Regards,
Norman

Posted By

RKSoft
on 2017-06-08
11:50:07

oohhh, Prospector Pete i forgot. Of course, this is another fine classic game!!!

Posted By

Doug
on 2017-06-16
11:26:17

Oh yeah - that was a true master piece. A real work of genius ;¬)

Seriously though, I think that was the last game that I wrote before I had to concentrate on what I was supposed to be doing - getting my degree.

Posted By

Luca
on 2017-06-16
14:35:32

...and this means that Prospector Pete has been finished in the last part of the year 1986, after Fingers Malone wink
Quite a pity that we have 3 C16 games only made by you, I enjoyed so much Prospector Pete when I was a kid, and I really would have seen something dated from 1987 and forth happy

Posted By

Doug
on 2017-06-17
17:22:16

Hi Luca,

Yeah - more would have been good, but I decided to stop. I often wonder what would have happened if I carried on writing games.

Anyone out there going to be in London in July? I'm thinking of popping along to this:

www.londongamingmarket.com

Might be some old C= stuff there - hope so!

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-06-17
18:18:49

@Doug,
I did not realize till today, that you were the brain behind those fantastic games/gems!

Many thanks for Icicle Works, that was my all time favourite game on C16 happy
(but as it is not Mastertronic, I am OFF again)

I really liked all three games. I have to admit: although Fingers Malone was very cute and technically speaking well done, it required so precise control at the ladders I could not manage at that age (=deaths). Not even today. happy

Posted By

Doug
on 2017-06-18
06:29:42

Yeah, sorry about that! wink

Both those Mastertronic titles were done in a bit of rush. I had just returned to university, after a year off doing stuff like Icicle Works, Nemesis: Escape from Euboea, lots of turbo loaders, and generally having a ball on C= machines. I went back determined to study, but I kept getting asked to do more, and the money kept me in beer! Each of Fingers and Pete I did in my evenings over about two to three weeks, so they were necessarily a bit unpolished. I liked the way Pete turned out, but Fingers lacked something for me. Just too manic I think, but my mates at Uni liked it like that, so that's how it went out.

Posted By

alfetta77
on 2017-12-14
17:49:25

Hi there. When l was 10 years old and looking to spend my pocket money, the Mastertronic logo was a guarantee that I was buying the right thing. Haven't played all their releases yet but those l remember most fondly are Tutti Frutti, Finders Keepers, Starforce Nova, Kane, Gun Law, Fingers Malone, Formula 1 Simulator and Speed King. But the very best £1.99s I ever spent were Kikstart and BigMac happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024