Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-04-19
10:58:24
 Re: Mastertronic non-turbo long loaders.

Maybe, and it might of been more trouble than it was worth as they went back to Novaload with other game releases. If I remember correct, Xadium was the last classic styled single game release from Mastertronic for C16/Plus4.
As you know, half wav's require the heads to be aligned almost perfectly so they load on a real machine, if the heads are slightly out they will fail. The last thing a company wanted were returned tapes.

Novaload is the most forgiving turbo if the heads are slightly out.

EDIT:

I just uploaded to the guys tap's of:

Masterchess - green border halfwav
Megabolts - halfwav
BMX Racers - without turbo loader
Spectipede - without turbo loader
Squirm - without turbo loader
Vegas Jackpot - without turbo loader
Petch - Official Anirog version which comes off the C16/C64 release, the found file name has TS in it...

All tap's have been tested and work perfectly with YAPE and I'm sure the guys will add them to each games page as soon as possible.

Video Poker long load works perfect in C16 & Plus/4 mode with YAPE!! It does not crash at the title screen like it does on my real C16. I will try it on a real Plus/4 tomorrow and also try another real C16 just in case my machine is faulty...

EDIT 2:

I have found the source of why Vegas Jackpot without turbo does not display the load screen correct. Revision B C16 (16K) motherboards are the cause of the problem, I tested 3 Rev.B C16's and they all show the same fault!
The load screen displays perfect on both Rev.A motherboard C16's (16K) and Plus/4!

Don't forget the version without turbo and the Novaload version have slightly different BASIC code for the load screen. To be honest though, this is one commercial release out of say 500 that shows this error on Rev.B C16 motherboards, it's not an issue really but interesting all the same. It might be useful for the emulator guys as a means of checking for Rev.B C16 support but ultimately it has no real use...

Here is a shot of that screen on a Rev.B C16 (16K) machine. Note, I have pressed the Run/Stop as to why the mess on the left hand side of the screen.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024