Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MurlocQ
on 2015-02-03
19:36:24
 Competition for the Plus/4 & for the C16

Hello Everybody!

I had an idea that came to me while I was arranging, extending my collection of Commodore +4/16 games on my computer. This idea conceived while I saw a few of those games that were created way after the Halcyon days of Commodore.
So I was wondering what the members, the people of the scene would think about a competition of games, BRAND NEW games, on this site. A competition like the British site, RGCD, organizes every year. It is a competition usually in two parts. The first part for just normal C64 games, and the second part for 16K Cartridge games. Unfortunately there's nothing to win besides the glory. And sometimes the creators thus gain the attention of those not too many, a fistful of publishers who still selling retro-games for the original computers and, of course, for the digital download as well.
But to return to the first paragraph, those games that I have seen were as good as the ones on the C64!. Their graphics and playability were as good. And if there would be such competition every year here as well maybe more people would be interested about the C+4/16 retro-platform too. But in the worst case there would be more new games for the +4/16.
Well, gentlemen, what do you think?

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-02-04
03:12:16
 Re: Competition for the Plus/4 & for the C16

Yes and no... I know some active people incl. me, who are working on projects but freetime is limited, so you can expect releases but waay slower as on the c64 platform.

Competition is always a good idea, but hard to get more freetime to code/polish..

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-02-04
03:46:55

Would be nice. However I expect the scene is so much bigger on the C64 that there's plenty enough active coders, enough that there will be those with more freetime on their hands to warrant these competitions anyway. I'd also argue that there would need to be a 16K category as well as a 64K one too.

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-02-04
14:26:56

Hi,

In fact a great idea, but till I have to work daily 10-12 hours to fulfill my bosses and business needs, have very limited free time.
I promise you: after winning the lottery, and have enough free time, I will finish two of my running projects happy

Posted By

TMR
on 2015-03-04
06:02:56

Wow, this is all... pessimistic isn't it?!

Annual competitions like the RGCD one (which is for games that fit into 16K of ROM cartridge but can use the entire RAM when executing), the MSXdev, ABBUC's yearly software competition or the Amstrad CPC 16K one that sadly only ran for one year encourage people to develop games. That is always a Good Thing! =-)

The games don't have to be technically astounding or huge in scale, just fun to play. They don't have to be written by the small pool of active coders (and nobody here is in a different boat to the people contributing elsewhere, we all have lives, families and day jobs) because these things have been known to both galvanise others who have been saying "one day i'll learn" and encourage folks to pootle over from other communities (so any deadlines should preferably be kept away from those of other 6502-based competitions, around July would probably be best).

Have a look at how the others are run and talk to some of the people behind them for ideas about rules, judging, how to blag a couple of prizes perhaps... maybe even join forces with the other 264-specific websites to organise and promote it. To paraphrase Field Of Dreams, if you build it they might not come but who knows...

Edit: Wow, a whole month and nobody's said anything... that's quite sad really. i've even got a small game that could be made ready for a competition if it ever happened! =-)

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-01
07:16:46

Mmm, I was wondering about what I currently know into games developing nowadays:
- "one" has a wonderful game which has waited for years to be released, at this could be its lucky chance;
- "one" has so many projects in his projects folder, that he could pick one of those and resurrect it, maybe with some help by me too wink
- "one" is converting a VIC 20 game since a couple of years, but probably it will be sold on tape;
- "one" is waiting to implement some SID tunes and (or?) TED sfx to his game, his blog said wink
- "one" has started months ago to sllloooowwwly refurbish a well known game...well, that's out of the rules of this kind of competition, but who cares, at last it will be disqualified grin

Are we really sure we can't handle such a compo like this? Really sure?

Posted By

Chris
on 2015-04-01
16:48:50

I'd definitely cobble a game up for a competition. It would give me a kick up the bum to write something.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2015-04-02
11:25:10

an adventure, chris?

Posted By

Chris
on 2015-04-02
15:38:48

It will be an adventure, but something a little different.

Posted By

TMR
on 2015-04-03
07:46:33

"one is waiting to implement some SID tunes and (or?) TED sfx to his game, his blog said"

That'll probably be me and yup, the game code is pretty much complete for Blok Copy so it's literally just waiting for the SID music and a few checks to make sure there's no conflicts once that code goes in.

Now this competition thingy just needs an organiser or two, perhaps a few judges, some rules (i'm using a 64K machine and SID so please don't ban those options! =-) and a reasonable deadline - if anyone takes it up, please try to aim the deadline between the other 8-bit competitions so 6502-based coders don't feel they can't support both.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-07
05:17:42

Yes TMR that one was you wink

Oh, and I've forgotten Mr. Angry Dude. And we could include the final version of the juicy Majesty Of Sprites, currently in search of TEDsound composers... Oh wait wait, and Richard Ikin's new Commando!

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-20
06:20:36

Ok, just to be rough and get a direct answer:
Does somebody want explicitly, or within a certain % probability, join the very first Plus/4 World's Game Competition? Be sincere but feel free, it's not like proposing marriage with us wink

Posted By

Mad
on 2015-04-20
06:48:03

Yes! I think if we get the final (of Majesty of Sprites) working, it will be for sure added to the game competition.

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2015-04-20
07:02:10

I have a game idea but i can't code for crap, or make graphics.

Posted By

Chris
on 2015-04-20
07:11:29

I'll definitely join the first Plus 4 World game competition. I've got something in mind for it.

Posted By

TMR
on 2015-04-20
10:57:32

It's only going to be an action puzzle game, but as long as there's a reasonable deadline (because we're winging it somewhat with the music still) i'll have something to enter, yes.

Give me long enough and catch me when i'm not hooked on doing demo code and i might get a second entry done... maybe. =-)

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-04-21
16:36:06

Ok, I will do my best to join, and try to forget my usual maximalism. Maybe it would more like a review. There will be no music, an mouse control is still a questionmark, if can be done properly (or at all happy )

Edit: Sure 64K+floppy+other HW optionally :-)

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-21
03:32:13

What I can say as now is this: the time to join the competition will point to take benefit from the summer holidays, in order to have anyway spare time to code draw and compose. I see the end of September or the first days in October as a very good deadline happy

Personally, I appreciate a lot the choice of a two separated categories of entries: C16 and 64K. Not 16K, but C16 (and consequently only, 16K too, then). Our 264 series machines offer a _real_ categorization, not only a memory limitation between compos, and that would be, for example, you can't send into the C16 compo a 16K game running at $5000 which precalculates stuff between $A000 and $DFFF grin The C16 compo is for C16 games, that's it happy

You see, from one hand we're searching useful contacts, from the other hand we like to chitchat about guidelines and opinions in order to reach, let's say, the midst of May with something real to ignite. Oh well, we used to chitchat also because we like to grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-05-23
05:47:26

A quick note just to keep you informed about: after a kind chat with Kenz, I got no answer back regarding a possible role by Psytronik in the compo. Though this current silence from him could be an obstacle, the project is still up atm, so let's see what will be happen in the near future.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-06-16
18:15:36

Another quickie to remind that the project of a game compo is still alive. Kenz answered back, he's quite busy till the end of June. I informed him about aaaaaall the chances and options in order to have Psytronik as main sponsor, and when the spare time will be back to be a real thing for him, he will read and value the whole stuff. Keep on!

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-07-27
03:38:28

Ok, time passed, no further news. Kenz has been busy, he didn't answered back in July, but we know Psytronik will release the commercial version of Majesty Of Sprites. This convinced me to put the game compo project in idle phase, in order to be rethought later on. Any outer idea is welcome.

Posted By

Misfit
on 2015-07-28
06:28:15

That's pity, but now I have time to finish my Android game before next C16 release.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-09-07
05:15:01

Just in order to keep idea and thread alive, a bit of :
- no, though everything's ready to release Mad's game, Psytronik hasn't come back yet, whould we proceed with no prizes and glory-for-the-one only?
- meantime, Misfit has just stopped the delay, see the picture he posted wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-09-07
10:09:58

That looks really cool happy

Posted By

Misfit
on 2015-09-08
15:11:41

Old R&D screenshot happy It's much better now.
I have to finish this game soon because I bought 32k memory expansion for VIC-20. grin
Only problem is that I filled C16 memory again.

Posted By

Thomas
on 2015-09-09
17:42:05

I know a game... a game whose development started 14 years ago... It would probably instantly win any competition... Sadly, no news are known since 7 years ago...
I will stop here, but I will never stop awaiting this extremely promising probably-masterpiece! wink

Sorry for bringing it up again, but I won't stop, I will do it again and again and again... wink

Posted By

Thomas
on 2015-09-09
17:48:38

Can't edit and can't double post, that's unfortunate...
Just noticed that I am mistaken, there have been news every now and then!
But still, 2,5 years since the last one.
Come on, keep it going! happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-09-09
21:52:01

Sorry about that, there should be now an [edit] link next to your posts when you're logged in.

There are quite a few unfinished games that we know of... Which one do you mean? happy

Edit: ah, judging from you past posts, you must be thinking of XeO3. Who knows, maybe one day...

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-09-10
02:05:16

Eh Thomas you know, I periodically try to encourage Mike in a reprise of the project promising to him all my time, but his job and family don't allow to do that :/ I also tried to ransom the project to set it free for a substitute coder, but Mike (I actually can understand him) feels XeO3 to be his lovely son and doesn't feel like let it go

Btw, I should do a page for it as GTW...no, as /Game/Preview, and I should do the same with other preview stuff I accumulated and with no hope to be completed, like Myth by MX, or a little game demo by Darron Broad still in beta, or Future Wars engine. And Csabo, what about that lost shmup you repaired? wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-09-10
08:46:59

Ah, that one by MX? I fixed up the engine, but the project fell apart due to lack of graphics and levels.

I guess I have my share of unfinished stuff. Just games, besides the above, there's the "big one", there's one that would have been the "spiritual brother" of 2048 and Flood It, there's another short concept, and one converted game that's almost ready. Plus I collaborated with others (I won't say who, it's their place to announce it if they want to) on a total of 5 games, none of which are out yet.

The scene life - and I think working on these old project in general - comes and goes in waves. At this very moment, I think we're at a low point, but hopefully things will perk up. It happened a lot of times before.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-09-10
09:12:07

Actually I would mean: what about including that shmup as Game/Preview, just like the others I've cited wink

Posted By

Thomas
on 2015-09-10
15:57:40

Sorry Luca, just trying. Haven't given up hope completely yet. wink
I completely understand the situation.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-09-11
12:25:01

Talking about game development, i think it comes handy:

http://csdb.dk/release/?id=140130

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-09-11
12:47:47

*Tch-tch* bad bad Chronos, you didn't use to read my blog then happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-09-11
13:37:29

Well, in his defense, this is the first time that URL (xeo3.wordpress.com) appeared on Plus/4 World. How were we to know about it?

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-09-11
14:19:27

Csabo, quite simple answer: Chronos liked the XeO3 Facebook page since years, where those links have been posted happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-09-11
14:35:04

Yea, i did not read your blog, btw what is the main problem with xe03? what you need? the engine is finished already? if you need only more graphics and level design maybe i can help... or lost interest? run out of memory? free time? aging? (common problems) - Our group have bomberman unfinished around 90%, what is the "plebs" opinion? bring it to the public or continue to "bomb" dcd to give the source and finish the whole project one day?! (-> i did it already thousand times with no result. i think he lost his interest forever..) Damn, we are old!

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-09-11
15:49:45

XeO3 still need several slices of code, especially main bosses, midbosses and weaponry. Nonetheless, you've been able to see by yourself that the main code is up and working. As I repeated so many times, Mike doesn't wanna leave the project go with any substitute coder.

EDIT: ok time passed and several users asked to me about the chance of a game coding compo. After several weeks, Kenz did update the Psytronik blog announcing Majesty Of Sprites, but at now nothing has moved on yet, a clear sign about a certain lack of time he saved for his project. Having seen that, I think involving him into our compo too, would result quite far to succeed.
Said that, we could relaunch the idea "as is": no prizes, only glory to the winner and a bunch of new games and lotta fun...within a reasonable range of time to accomplish your entries, of course ;) Being a very first attempt, it would be enough for now, no?

Posted By

Misfit
on 2015-11-19
04:09:26

.. what if competition would be a game jam (Weekend/48h)? Everybody has a private life/job/kids but everybody can sacrifice 2 days?
I made few Ludum Dare (http://ludumdare.com/compo/) games few years ago and I can tell that it has own "bedroom coder" feeling.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-11-19
04:29:37

Misfit never heard before about this kind of challenge, quite interesting indeed! Nonetheless, it seems to have a precise target: homebrew game coders who can count on solid and teste libraries wink
On the other hand, it's a very interesting chance, let's wait for other comments about.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024