Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-01-03
04:27:32
 Re: Games ported to the C64

Some of our scores will be higher than the same game on C64 because we had that 16K limit thanks to the C16. Put simply, if something good was ported from C64 then it would be viewed as great on our system because of the amount of crap that was out there. We are more fond of the good ones, where good on C64 is normally a multi loader and with the extra memory to play with there was no stopping what could be done.

When it came to ACE+4, Mercenary and Saboteur and when we didn't have memory limits, then other than sound our versions were just as good. The thing is, while I listed 3 for us, the C64 would go on to have another 300 and counting good games. That makes the ported classics stand out more on our system.

Some of ours classics are also better even with the limitations such as Big Mac, Tom Thumb, Squirm and many more. Some even look better because we had more colours such as Fire Ant. I might be the only one out there but regardless of the awesome sound track on c64 and the flicky scrolling on our system, I prefer to play the original retail version of Thrust on C16/Plus4. Also hats off to the guys who ported Manic Miner and got all 20 levels to fit on a C16, a great achievement and should be remembered in just the same way as it is on C64 & Spectrum... the problem is that too many people think anything lesser is weak so don't know how to appreciate exactly what was done and what's on offer.

Also don't forget some people will go out of there way to mark stuff down because they many not like or view something too hard, that's not always the games fault but the user. ;-)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024