Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-10-30
20:14:52
 Re: SHOULD COMMODORE MAKE A NEW PLUS 4 PC?

OFF
It does not look bad at all. The built in touchpad is a really good feature.
As I understand it was more a "paperware" than a real macine you could buy.

But even then there are three big problems with the machine:
1) Atom. Atom is anything but fluent experience. Yeah, it eats only few watts, but it costs customer experience.
According to my point, any Celerons or cheap Pentiums are much better. Except you run on battery.

2) The built-in Intel VGA.
None of the Intel built in VGAs have perfect driver for 3d. Yeah, they have the market share, but not the real satisfied user base. Weak drivers very frequently result not starting or buggy 3d gameplay. Or just slow. Recently turned out, that even if the graphics core developer made a better driver and sent it to Intel (intel GMA3000), Intel just does not care, did not release it. "Buy a newer one!" What a nice Customer oriented concept
I have an Intel 820 range SSD cause intermittent freeze of the computer when certain files or folders accessed. I mean sometimes frozen for minutes! Intel knows it since >1 year4 no solution provided.

3) Not upgradeable
Yeah, even if t has sealed in CPU, the VGA should have been upgradeable. It is not the case here, and not the case in any all-in-one machine. there COULD be some a possibities (like the MXM VGA cards or PCI-e riser or PCI-e flex riser cable) but none of them utilized in this machine.
From one aspect it is a faithful reproduction what C16 was (almost no expandability), but hey, it is a PC. You buy it, and after 2-3 years it found to be a dead end with no potential lifetime extension.

(as a comparison: into my 8 years old (!) shuttle SN95G5 I bought over the years 2 gb faster RAMS, better AGP VGA, dual core Opteron180 and an SSD (instead of the original A64 3000+, 1gb RAM, older VGA).
While it seems to be crazy efforts, for most of the tasks (yes, even rare gaming) this 8 years old AGP system still OK, except the Intel ssd it is rock solid, and cost less than half if I would buy in every 2-3 years a new PC, althogh the result would be a faster PC.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024