Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-10-08
09:34:35
 Re: Pin Point?

Back in the day I reached level 8 without cheating, however level 8 (see Noro's map) is bugged and so the game came to an end right there... The game also crashes on a standard 16k C16 when you complete Level 1 going into Level 2 so you can only play it on 64k machines. I have two original copies of Pin Point wondering if my own was faulty but they are both the same.

Unknown if the Five Star Games III or Power Pack (Anco) versions are fixed, I don;t own them. I doubt they are.

If there was ever a game that would show the true difference between emulation and the real machine then this is it. With all emulators the controls of the Spinning Top feel delayed, lag a little and feel as if they have over run from the smallest of joystick taps. This makes it very hard to play properly via emulation. Even though I can do it, I have struggled to play the first level with the timing precision like I would on a real Plus/4.
You really need to get this on a real machine if you want to play it seriously.

When I did that run I think I got to the 4th or 5th level. I was thinking about doing a video but it would require much time a practice trying to pick up all the little tricks I once mastered trying to control the thing. I would want a clean run from start to finish any way lol, not forgetting it ends at level 8 even if I did get that good again...
Once you've got it back it's not a problem, it's getting it back and remembering is the hard part.

The 1st two stages are easy, level 3 right at the start is very tricky and requires you to go, UP, Over, Up using the Fire button inbetween to drag the top up the hill without loosing it or going over the top. Once you have that Street Fighter II move back in your fingers then more times than not your get up the hill fine. happy
Level 3 also has other nasty parts to over come and each level there after offers something unique to master. Very technical any way, but does get easier the more ticks you pick up.
That's what the game is all about though, it's a challenge and the controls are fine on the real machine if you have the patience for it. Noro if he was still here would say the very same thing. He too loved Pin Point as much as me. There might even be some very old posts of me and him talking about it around the time he did the map? wink

EDIT:

This can me only one thing... I have the Jedi Skills once again to reach Level 8. wink

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024