Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-08-20
17:03:46
 Re: Hollywood Poker: The biggest commercial...

Yes George. It is not a sticker but printed on the card.

For anyone that's not sure how it was done...
In printing such as these covers they are printed with 4 colours on white card. Black, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. The cover is 5 colours in total when you add the reverse, (inside instructions) being black.

On the face the ink is put on to 4 different plates which in turn are printed on a blanket to then be printed on the card. Controlling the amount of ink and getting each plate lined up makes the picture you see on the card. They can also use a lacquer printed directly over the finished image so to protect the printed picture, this allows you to wiped it off if it gets dirty and so does not come off on to your fingers like a news paper does.

So for one cover to of added the yellow background and red text, 2 brand new plates were made up. To me , "Actual Digitized Photos" box stands out more in plain black.
I'm not sure which one came first.

BTW, now you can understand how Mastertronic had the wrong plate on the reverse, (inside instructions). The print operator normally looks at the face as it's being printed on the press and being such a repetitive job the reverse was forgotten about and why some titles had the wrong instructions. Printing is not only money but also time, they had to let the mistakes go! wink

PS. Nice one Csabo, I just caught your post as I posted this! :)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024