Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Mad
on 2014-08-12
10:37:34
 Re: Evoke 2014

Some TechStuff:

1. The Letters:
a 16x16 texture mapper on a 40x50 screen with motionblur(subtracting the intensity over a table per frame) the trick is that it's subpixel and subtexel accurat (means the we can use a much higher resolution for the outlines in terms of accuracy). The polygons edges are precalced and we have two different types of animation there one from the left and one from the right.

2. The Glitch stuff
firstly i also changed the pal/ntsc bits to get a nicer glitch but this could be worse for some monitors

3. The Tunnel
it's a standard 40x50 movetable with 12 (or 16) frames of rotation
the overlay is made by chars which are calculated to fit to the y movement (like 8 versions of the text pictures for every sub y)

4. The Flatline
it consists of a turtle drawer and after every frame the whole screen darkens it's color and clears the screen somehow that way after 8 frames (or so)

5. The Stars
Consting of a so called matrix rotation and i think around 100 or 80 or so stars. The division is a straight forward table lookup (64 steps). Later i noticed that i needed more accuracy so there are substeps (0.5) where i calculate the middle value between the subsequent z coordinates.

6. The RocketScience ScrollPicture
code by degauss. Uses the standard bitmappointer and scrolls the colorram the normal way.

7. The Movetable over the rocketscience picture
it's a normal movetable accessing a 256x6 picture. Y Resolution is halved because of memory and speed. To hide some visibility bugs (it's a 50fps effect without doublebuffering) there is some importance sorting applied to the order of painting the bytes

8. The Picture fader
I'm quite proud of the idea. If you have 4 colors you have 2 bitplanes if you think of it. Every bitplane helds a single picture and the fading is done with a plasma. this part is also a loader part it runs at 25fps but it's easily a 50hz effect (slows loading then)

9. The Chess Rotator
The idea is to build a rotation of two sheering images. Degauss invented a gfx mode for interferences in an older demo and i used this mode to ora this two sheered line pictures together. (one is sheered in x and on is sheered in y)

10. The Color Tunnel
standard "Censor" Tunnel the problem on plus4 is that u don't have three colors per block but thats quite ok i think. this is also a loader (all loaders in the demo only consume the mem between $1800-$4000)

11. The Wobbler
it's a Graham Zoomer Movetable Wobbler. Consist of beeing able to select a differently moved 4 pixel graficselement on every bitmap adress. Y Resolution is halved. And we have a normal colorram in the background.

12. The Floormapper
the landscape can have up to 512x128 tiles (i dunno perhaps i reduced the number then), the cool thing is thate every tile can be animated. it 40x24 and has some fogging applied. The dancing girl is a simple character animation consisting of (50?) frames.

13 The Enigma Part (Flying ship through a purple tunnel)
it's only a char animation where every frame the charvalue per screenblock is increased by 1 (i think it has 32 animationsteps and 8 tiles (32x8=256chars). it's a loader.

14 The Slow Plasma
not exactly a plasma. these are two(the same) colored pictures added together with a different movement.

15 The RainbowStars
also a loader. Every char is incremented somehow over a table. The trick is that there are (8/16 or so) directions the stars can have per char. And if the char gots incremented the stars flies one step further in that direction

16 The Landscape
was done just for covering the depack time there. It's a movetable but only over the colorram. it's a 1 dimensional movetable (a gradient) which is moved over the picture.

17 The Twister
fpp. Every line we can select a different bitmap line and every char consists of x(8?) different segement types. The Trick here is that we use the white dot generated by the ted if setting $ff15 to display two stars. (this is done over self modifying code) -> i think this idea is expandable.. happy

18 The Voxel Tunnel
the main feature is a 40x25 to 80x50 interpolator with a palette consisting of 16 colors (remember on the ted you have to write lumaram and colorram). i think the interpolator is quite fast and the effect is the way it should be seen.

so that are the coding facts for side 1.. Later the same for disk 2

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024