Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-11-17
 Well thank you Jim

but I already have a 1581, I just wanted to get this second one going. It is not necessary to send me another 1581. But you can hang onto it in case my good one dies. happy

I have put a Mitsumi 1.44 mechanism in the second 1581 but I haven't made it out to the computer room to hook the drive up to power yet. I received it without a power supply but I have a spare one from a 1541-II that I can use.

I would like some pics of that 1582 drive though, maybe pics of the case, motherboard, and serial plate.... would be perfect for the Prototype page of my website, as I don't think I've seen anyone else posting pics of one. Maybe even a ROM dump; could it be possible to convert a 1581 into a 1582 with just the ROM and a HD mechanism? (A screen shot of a directory listing with 62xx blocks free would sure be neat too!)

As of now, I still need a 6525 for the 1551, and I have a screwy SX64 that gives garbled characters on bootup. The whole screen is just a mess of random characters, with random colors, a few even blink I think (It's been like 2 months since I last tried it). Personally I think it's the Kernal or the VIC as the VIC's heat sink was floating in the case when I got it. Someone else emailed me that it could be the character ROM; does the 64 series use a seperate chip for characters? Or is that in the upper memory ROM with the Kernal?

Anyway if you could drop a 6525, and whatever you think would fix the SX into the mail, and put a tracking number on it, I would be more than happy to reimburse you for chips plus postage. GEOS is being held up on this disk drive, and the other fellow who is expecting a 1551 is waiting on it to arrive from Europe so it may not clear Customs til after Christmas.

My mailing address at work is James Crook c/o Main Appliance Center, 7205 West 80th Street, Overland Park, Kansas 66204-3719.

Any other Commodore users nearby who wish to stop by and chat, give me a call first at 913-649-6646 to make sure I'll be around. happy (Not like there's a real Plus/4 following in the States, but you never know!)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024