Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-11-05
05:51:57
 Re: plus4 keyboard

99% of the Plus/4 User Manual covers BASIC commands and BASIC programming at a very "basic" level, (forgive the pun) so very limited in what the machines can really do with graphics and sound. A lot of things can be done via the new 3.5 BASIC the C16/Plus4 have and making things in general easier than a C64 if using BASIC but if making commercial style GAME's or DEMO's then BASIC is not fast enough as I'm sure you know.

With regards to joysticks.
SERIOUS WARNING!
You must keep things simple as in the joysticks them self that you wish to use on the C16/Plus4 as the ports are not shielded and are wired directly to the TED chip. If using 3rd party sticks use joysticks designed for the C64 in mind. Nothing fancy with crazy lights and 10 settings of auto fire as you can kill the TED chip straight away by sending volts down the wrong wire. Do not use pads like Sega Megadrive pads as these can damage TED beyond repair. Keep things simple, single fire button type sticks.

If your not sure if your stick will be ok ask.

Personally I use Cheetah 125+ joysticks mostly but even these need a wire cutting off them on the inside of the stick. It's either left or right that has an extra wire, more suited for Amstrads I'm sure, can make a C16/Plus4 feel a little sticky at times when playing games until this wire is cut off. The Cheetah 125 is very close to the feel of the original Plus/4 1531 joystick and out of the box will not damage the machine - DONT plug the AMSTRAD grey end in to a C64 or Plus4 unless you want to kill your machines.
Competition Pro Joystick's are fine on Plus/4 out of the box, much like the Zipstik for Amiga's are good too on a Plus/4 out of the box.

Like I said, if your not sure then ask before you use what you may have on your Plus/4 just for peace of mind.

I take it your from the UK?

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024