Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Litwr
on 2013-10-29
14:05:52
 Re: Game of Life

Is it a crime to turn a man into obsession? IMHO it is so. Luca, Mkarcz, Gaia - you are guilty! happy You turned me into crazy state of mind. I spent almost all my free time during more than a month under a bit stupid task - the creation of 8-bit port for famous 32-bit program.

It is said that history is only made by crime and madness. So this union shows its productivity again...

It should work with any emulator. However it is the best to use IEC emulation over a directory because of number of the existed patterns. The distribution contains about 2500 patterns but it is possible to use almost all available net's patterns using 'lifeconv' conversion utility.

The IEC emulation realizations are still very poor.

plus4emu can't handle the directory masks, e.g, "*=s".

yape doesn't support u00 and s00 types at all. It can't even handle the provided D64 image in the IEC mode - it doesn't read properly the SEQ and USR files. It can't also handle the directory masks. I could attach D81 image only after several attempts - it looks like that the attachment is not possible after IEC mode over a directory .

Forever Plus/4 Emulator (+4forever?) works fine over a directory - it has only one artificial limitation - it supports up to 412 directory entries.

vice can't also handle the directory masks.

D64 supports only 144 directory entries - it's fewer than required for a work with a lot of patterns. I was surprised that D81 supports only 296 entries...

The speed of evolution depends on the slowness factor. The fastest speed is about 550 generations per second for 0% value of slowness - it is possible for up to 36 cells. The slowest speed is about 0.5 generation per second for 100% of slowness (up to 30720 cells).

The algorithm of Xlife is about 3.5 faster than life v1.01's and the universe is more than 4 times larger.

It is very interesting to port this program to other platform (C64, Amstrad CPC, ...) to test the real speed of CPU. However my obsession is ended for this time.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024