Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-08-03
07:23:47
 Re: Z80 GUI: SymbOS

hi Gerliczer,
thanks for the detailed answer, and i agree that you are right in most of the points. Please do not take it wrong, just few more ideas (i am absolutely do not feel bad if i am wrong happy ):
-with the finally available JiffyDOS, an 1541 and 1571 can easily outperform the 1551. As 1551s slowly die (too brittle plastic,etc), 264 machines should depend more and more the 20x available 1541/x drives,that can be 5x faster too with Jiffy. Compatibility with fastloaders? Dunno
-External SD drive is still a little slow on IEC bus (JiffyDOS?, questionmark), but what if SD connected to memory bus directly?
-i remember how much i wished an Amiga, but i could own one only for 4months, then had to switch to PC 286. With 16Mhz it had the raw power to play multichannel Amiga MOD music on speaker, later on the self-built 8Bit COVOX card in a very nice quality. it was my top experience on that monoVGA machine. Sampling frequency is a key to playback quality, and that is mainly depends on Cpu raw power. Digi converters eat to much Cpu power to do anything extra, but what if Plus/4 would have 2x or 3x more power? Then both nice music and nice visuals may work together. BTW PC Engine had 5bit music channels, and it does not sound bad at all (used short samples stored in memory like Gravis)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024