Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Litwr
on 2013-06-25
13:26:39
 Re: we are losing plus4emu

Sorry for a bit excessive panic. The big problem is only OpenGL -- it is not supported properly via fltk. The switch -no-opengl at the command line fixes plus4emu. It can smoothy run Xargon wars at 65% speed with this option. My experience shows that RPi has performance equal to Celeron-766MHz or Pentium-260MHz. If OpenGL libraries will work properly and will support RPi hardware video accelleration then it will be possible to use 100% speed emulation. This means also that it is worth to port plus4emu to Android -- 1GHz modern ARM maybe fast enough for 100% speed. I don't have any Android device...
It is odd that plus4emu runs slightly slower with OpenGL with modern Linux than without OpenGL.

[Gaia] Thanks. Microsoft Windows have their advantages. They allow to run 20 years old EXE-file! So the Microsoft Windows' users may use plus4emu.exe without problems. I tried it with Wine - it works. Is your EXE is better than made by IstvanV?
Linux like +4 wink is Paradise for the programmers. However it becomes too big and complex...
I've made several speed tests with plus4emu and different hardware:
3200MHz AMD - 1300%
3200MHz AMD with Wine - 1150%
1900MHz Intel Atom - 370%
766MHz Celeron - 65%
950MHz RPi - 65%

[gerliczer] Thanks for the piece of advice. happy Fltk has not easy time. They stopped to develop version 2. They also have the mentioned OpenGL problems. It will be good if IstvanV could update his superb emu and made its Android port. happy I've just sent the reference to this thread to his sorceforge.net e-mail. Qt is also good and supported very well.

EDIT: It is also very difficult to get sound sometimes. Alsa driver may produce a lot of error messages. It is curious why IstvanV missed SDL?

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024