Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-11-30
16:46:04
 Re: VICE 2.4

I think Tibor has left the team around 2010 (non-officially probably earlier). Actually, the TED emulation in VICE was lifted entirely from the VIC-II core at around 2002 and minimally adjusted by Andreas Boose to be fit for the TED's features. I recall Crown complaining that it was very bothersome to even get the clocking right because the VICE architecture was not very well suited for single/double clock switches. I would even go as far as state that implementing FF1E writes would have required a major rewrite of the code and it is very hard for anyone to find the required devotion for such a task... btw, even the VIC-II core has been recently rewritten from scratch to accomodate for a true cycle exact engine even though the VIC-II emulation is much more trivial than that of the TED (forgetting about sprites for a second for the sake of comparison). Perhaps someone could lift the new cycle based VIC-II core of VICE and redo the TED? happy

(BTW I also contributed a few DMA related patches to VICE about 2 years ago. Although the functions were very well separated in the code so you could easily pin point places that needed improvement, it was very difficult to get things work more or less the way they should within its weird, ill-suited architecture. Noone can be blamed for abandoning it I'm afraid... A complete TED rewrite is unavoidable.)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024