Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Gaia
on 2002-08-31
 To Mike

Well, you got it right, I create DX surfaces in the video memory. I tried changing it to DDSCAPS_SYTEMMEMORY, but all I got as a result was degraded performance (-33%) and it still blurred... BTW, Minus/4 also blurs, at least on my machine....

Sound is a speed issue in almost all Yape releases if you were playing digi's... Those non-standard digi's (that do not set the 7th bit of FF11) I tried to iron out by making subsequent calls to the buffer recalculation. From next release I changed this, so sound will have a much bigger overhead, but it'll at least play digi's at the same speed... Also, I hope for an improved digi support on XP, Csabo has tested Yape beta for me, as I don't have XP....

Talking about sound: I don't use samples anymore, I switched to realtime wave rendering somewhere around v0.33... I directly render to the primary buffer in 8 bit 44 KHz, which I want to change to 16 bit, so maybe it'll get smoother... I also use a kind of a fallback backbuffered audio rendering would the WRITEPRIMARY cooplevel fail.... This gives identical sound only the digi's sound like corrupted low-frequency squarewave garbage for no apparent reason.... Any hints???

Have you experimented with D3D surfaces already? Since DX8, DDraw is not anymore officially supported, you have to deal with all those nasty vertexes and matrices to get even the simplest 2d stuff rendered. Anyway, it can be done, but the question is if it's worth it?
I've read that most cards must be quicker with D3D than with DDraw, so it might be worthwhile to implement a D3D rendering interface in the emulators?? What's your point of view?

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024