Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-21
16:19:18
 Re: Joysticks & Joypads questions.

Cheers MMS this is good!

Partly done but I can see the problem.

A properly wired joystick for the 264's that should come from a C64 really if the adapter has been wired for that is such ones as Sixteen Plus, Luca and C16 Chris are using regardless of Auto Fire. It will run all day.

As I knew... yes it's wired directly to TED and he goes on to say, "TED is not well protected against peaks and high currents". Meaning any joystick or gamepad not suited to the wiring of your adapter can cause the TED to fail, it's that easy to kill it.

That mean's Atari 2600 joysticks are no good and are asking for trouble as they are wired a little differently with the Power & GND. Looks like they really tried hard to improve the idea on the way joysticks work adding a port Select, but being this advanced is how you kill the TED with joysticks & pads that may cross wire what 264's are looking for. Maybe there is a limit to how much TED can take before it goes but I think it's obvious Auto Fire or not the pad/stick was not suited to the C64-264 adapter. I don't use Auto-Fire and my C16 messed up!

He does also go into detail of how to build a better adapter covering more than just C64 using a switching gate, but this is beyond me.

I will just have to use the right tools!

A very good article on the ports which says in black & white: DON'T MESS WITH THE

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024