Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-07
11:27:15
 Re: Did anyone buy Pin Point owning a 16k C16?

Yeah I have just dug this back out... 11 years later.

Emulation has come along way now and I'm not talking just the machines, but also the official cassette images now run!

Here's the thing... My memory is not what it once was because of illness and I have been driving my self crazy wondering why Pin Point the cassette will not run on my real Commodore C16. I started messing about with the heads thinking the 1531 was out, to tell you the truth my main one has died and will not go forwards so I dug another one out... had to be sure.

Today I grabbed my Commodore 1541-II out to load a crack off disc. Game crashed at level2.
Next I plugged in my 16k RAM, again the game crashed at level2.

Yes I'm going around in circles.

So here I am once again. I just fired YAPE up running a stock C16 with 16k and loaded the .tap image and as before in my first post it crashes as soon as you end level 1 to start level 2. Its the same crash your see on a real C16.

I have come to the conclusion that Pin Point must be a 64k only title!! There is something wrong with it that causes a crash on a C16, like a reverse of a C16 only game that will not run on a plus4.
We know level 8 is bugged... but something else is too and I'm starting to smile a bit thinking no one had the skills to test the game on a real C16, they just loaded it up and said YEAH it works??? wink

Before anyone jumps the gun, this is the Anco version of Pin Point. I have no idea if the Kingsoft release or if Compilations are effected in the same way. Remember the .tap of Pin Point was from my tape too.
I have just check the HOME SOFT crack with YAPE C16 16k and it crashes, but it's not the same crash as the .tap as it does a CPU JAM. You may even get a CPU JAM out of the crack before you have finished the level from failed attempts.

EDIT:

I have just loaded the .tap on a 64k C16 using YAPE and the game does not crash going into Level 2.
So is this a 64K only game I wonder seeing as it does not work correct on a C16 and with an added 16k RAM pack.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024