Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

crock
on 2011-10-31
11:26:35
 Re: CPU replacement?

In a moment of extreme rashness I ordered a few, sourced from China of all places!! They had no way of testing them, so they were bought in the knowledge that they were untested. Including shipping, I transferred $120 via Paypal and fully expected that was the last I would hear.

You can imagine my surprise when a long thin parcel arrived from Shenzen about 4 days later. Sadly, 4 of the 10 didn't work but I was left with 6 working cpu's, including one of the *much* better 1990 datecoded cpu's that run much cooler. So, net cost to me was about $20, which most sensible sane people would not pay.

Despite what I paid, I could not in good conscience pass that on to you so my advice would be to take a punt on a defective c16 or plus 4 on ebay, I reckon you would have a better than 50% chance of harvesting a good cpu. (a c16 went on ebay.de yesterday for 5 euro)

If not and you *really* need one, PM me - I'm always open to trade for other C= oddities or rarities.

WRT to a replacement, I asked Bil Herd about this and the very early prototypes (ie before Anders Carlsson's prototype) did use a 6510 and a bunch of external TTL logic. Before I bought my spares from China, I did poll the community for setting up a bounty to make a plug in replacement, but didn't get much support (the CommodoreBounty website has now all but closed.) I'm sure smarter people than me could do it with a 6502...

Rob

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024