Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-08-28
13:00:46
 Re: CPU replacement?

Christian: I'd do that happy, but I'm afraid I'm not much of practical help here. Replacing the 8501 by a 2-MHz 6502 + some glue logics should be possible, but neither I have made any attempts to do that.

A 6510/8500 base should impose the problem of a missing portbit... it should be also relatively difficult to supply the missing portbit "retroactively".

The 8502 might be a better candidate for the project, as it's a 2MHz 6502 descendant (the 6510/8500 might or might not work at 2MHz at all -- at least, they're not rated for 2MHz), and as it seems to have a 7-bit onboard I/O port. Problem: it appears to be almost as rare as the 8501 is by itself (...but I might be wrong in that assumption; honestly, I've never owned a working C128 myself, only some wrecks +a partially working one that I never really used).

At the end, neither I did come up with a solution -- I used what I had (cannibalized some 8501s from wrecks, and/or some of my own 264 series computers that I rarely used, in favor of those that I used more frequently), until someone on this forum pointed me to some Hungarian supplier that still had 8501 processors (...20 years old stock) for sale.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024