Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2010-08-28
03:38:25
 Re: CPU replacement?

Hi Exin,

I think you meant this: http://www.baltissen.org/newhtm/10to816.htm. This is about replacing the 6510. If one wants to do this with the [7|8]501 it must be somewhat reworked but there are compatibility issues. This solution replaces a 65XX type processor with a 65cXX one, and since the latter fixed some quirks and introduced new instructions, it can't be considered drop-in replacment. There are software that builds on the oddities of the original part therefore it won't run correctly on the newer processor.

The [7|8]501 can't be replaced with 850[0|2] because those have different pinout and have one less processor I/O pin. To work it around like in the case of the 65cXX replacement project is not possible because one can't disable the processor I/O port so no matter what is done read/write of $00/$01 addresses will always access the integrated port.

The safest bet would be to cram a modified VHDL 6510 core into a CPLD (or a non-volatile FPGA if such thing exists) and replace the broken CPU with that.

Of course I'm not an expert so the real ones correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024