Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-07-09
04:55:05
 Re: Who remembers this freq converter?

AFAIR there were only three such routines providing some sort of volume wiggling -- ETC's, Coby's and mine (not counting several interim versions). ...And maybe one of Pigmy's late mconv routines.

Speaking of the code that does the calculation itself -- I remember basically four or five routines, of which three did make use of tables this or that way. I've seen the fastest one in some early '90s German production whose title I don't remember (must have been a Synergy megademo; ...Update: it was Disk Wars) -- fast, but not especially a precise one, sounded like hell. (Also, I don't remember this one using a routine that would have dealt with ADSR). The most popular one can be found in a lot of stuffs -- AFAIK even Coby's routines incorporated this calculator routine, you can even find this included to my pre-1.6 routines. ...Yet don't expect lightning fast operation, the table is not looked up but searched in a loop, which takes some time. And last, even mine (the last one, in v1.6) uses a short 128-byte table -- the algorithm is based on table lookups + shifts, which takes time. You can expect the latter two ones to be on pair by means of runtime; whilst, the first one is AFAIR faster than either of the latter ones but far less precise.

I can only remember solutions that stored the whole tune in a long row of datas that could be faster than these routines.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024