Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2009-11-20
03:51:40
 Re: Mass-storage: CF/SD/MMC cards and others?

1.) Plus/4 prods vs. custom 1541 routines

You can bet. The serial devices are just slow themself. Sometimes you have an option (or: the code does some autodetect by itself) to fall back to standard loader routines. But generally, the majority of stuffs that ever try loading from disk do that by custom routines.

More enhanced stuff (or special disk copiers) do even use custom routines with the 1551.

2.) 1541 "Ultimate"

That one slowly evolved from a 1541 emulator into an "anything you ever dreamt of" module. Today it has a lot of bells and whistles (seems to take the position previously taken by products like the Retro Replay) together with 1541 emulation capability. As a consequence (it's not a serial device but a C64 cartridge), there's no way to use that with the Plus/4.

[Edit]: That was bullshit. As it turned out, the 1541 Ultimate can be used as a standalone device, too.

3.) SD2IEC et. al.

Yeah, their drawbacks just apply here. Yet I've bought one myself... Pro: it's a very convenient and safe form to transfer Commodore stuff and keep that at hand / on a pure electronic media; con: basically no custom 1541 routines work. And I also don't know (yet) a way to copy full disk images from the unit to a real floppy drive (and back), just files. (Note that it does handle .d64 images that you copy onto the SD card, it does that by emulating subdirectories; I just couldn't find a way to get these .d64 images onto disks, using Plus/4, SD2IEC and 1541).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024