Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-11-16
16:11:46
 Re: The Hobbit_disc version

Well, not a bad idea at all.
First about original HIRES pics of C64 version: they seems very compressable, even if I would choosea a very basic compression method (unfortunately the GIF I well know does not really fit to plus/4 happy ) Some of the pics would fit to 1.5K (io 4.5K). Most of the pics would fit into 2KB, and ~third of them would need at least 3K. (just by checking the repetition and bigger surfaces). 2.5KB*51=127KB. Does not fit to 64K. Hard to store on original media (tape, disc). And would not be compatible with original plus/4.

About multicolors. Few trials made with IstvanV's converter. I could see 10-30% compression (if fully depends on picture content). A 256x128 pic with the colormap should take 4KB+512b, and does not have the limitation of charset. But for the pics I choose at least 3.5KB (but most probably 4KB) needed, even after compression (converted pics (arts, photoes) typically not so well compressable).
4K * 51 = 200K
2 discsides, and would be compatible with "real" plus/4. But for such a small saving (maybe 25-40KB) I prefer no compression, if fits to 2 discsides.

I just checked the uncompressed Pigmy version: the memory is rather full (the first room is at BEB0), and after each text description there ar hundreds of bytes explaining the room (at least it looks graphical content due to it's structure). So -for me- it looks it would need a complete restructure of memory allocation, and not too much memory for extra content.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024