Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-10-01
16:08:24
 Re: TV Switch Box

Why I stress TV to be used for Commodore computers?
Because they have much better and bigger display than the 14" monitors.
The original, good condition 14" Commodore monitors costs ~40-60USD.
With 4x bigger surface you may get for the double price a used great CRT TV.
Just to mention, I have some experience with monitor production also happy there were some great monitors, like HP L2035, with SVideo input, and great picture.

In CRT the best picture I have seen was PHILIPS 29PT9009. I can tell you, I saw some dozens happy
My father in law got it from us 6 years ago for Christmas. Still working well. Great pic, the level of those colors just recently reached by LCD TVs.
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/2/29pt9020_12/29pt9020_12_pss_aen.pdf
Not a single piece on ebay...

I also had a Philips 29PT8609 set, which was not PixelPlus TV (I sold it few years back). It had a very nice picture too, but far from the above mentioned one. Also had SVideo input, I never used that at that time, except when I demonstred the PC picture from my Radeon 8500LE SVideo out. The guy bought it in 5 minutes happy

Both of the aboves has SVideo native input on the sides.

I still have a 25" TV-Combi with integrated hifi VHS (with not perfectly flat display) from 2001, and I like it very much. VHS still working very well. In fact it was the best VHS drive for all time, not joking, you can see the same picture quality on record as the living PAL signal. At that time from the world's Top10 VHS recorders 8 was from our factory happy

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/2/25pv815_07/25pv815_07_pss_eng.pdf
But THIS one does not have SVideo, not even on Scart. Just CVBS.
Still, almost double size than a Commodore monitor.

There were some models had ill-fated issues, like 29PT8620 (had a lot of issues), or the lower end models (like 29PT5xxx), they had much worse tuner, circuitry, and just average picture and sound.

In fact I suggest to NEVER buy a 16:9 CRT TV: after some time they will surely have some geometry problems and color purity issues at the corners. Just coming from the technology...
I hope you find this input detailed enough.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024